stopped eating

smyth

hi guys, well i put my female and male chams together 26 days ago and they mated , my female stopped eating 4 days ago now, shud she have laid the eggs? how long do they stop eating for before they lay? 4 days is quite along time not to eat isnt it. shes drinkin fine tho

Dont worry!
Sometimes it takes about one week or a little bit more.
If she is in great shape she will make it.
Normally she gonne dig some holes, untill she has found the best place to put hear eggs.
I have here a female(pardalis) that didn't eat for two weeks, and yesterday I have put hear outside in my cage and she have digg a hole and lay here eggs in it.
So maybe she didn't like hear substrate inside...:)
What kind of substrate do you use?

Regards,
Tom

How long has it been since the copulation?
I use a 50/50 mix of organic potting soil and play sand, and moisten it down really good. If her health starts to decline my primary concern would be egg binding and I would seek veterinary assistance immediately.

thanks for your replies guys:D its been 26 days since copulation, im using just sand ,because last time i used soil i found little flies would keep emerging from it, even when i put fresh soil in the container about a week later i would have small flies everywhere, this wudnt be good for an egg layin site, so im just using sand. shes not even gone down to the bottom of the flexarium to check the site out , theres no way she cud miss it, its like the same size as the bottom of the flex. she is still drinking so thats a plus. cheers,Craig.

ps. she is very restless for the past few days she been climbin around at the top of her viv when usually she doesnt move that much, will she go to the bottom of the flexarium automatically by instinct? or shud i put her down the bottom altho i think this cud be way too stessfull for her.

how bigs the container you have and how full is it of sand? how bigs the flexarium.....do u have a vine or somthing leading right down to the spot? try putting her in the spot a few times and than leave her alone.....restlessness is good.....cover up the flex with paper or somthing so u cant see in or at least she cant see u looking in....if you watch she will not dig......takes a bit of time my veild went on for about a week or more on a strike before she laid......another thing you can do is get a big garbage can fill it up like a foot and a half deep of sand.....put a stick in there she can get on but not climb out on hang lights over and leave her alone.....worked for me twice.....i panicked like crazy both times but everything worked out well....to bad they were all infertile eggs....good luck

also....if it does get too long and you believe that she might go egg bound you can give her a few ml of liquid calcium, this will help enduce labour.....it worked second time when my veild was ready to bust.....watch to make sure she drinks too....ask the forums about the liquid calcium and im sure someone else could help you....saved me a trip to the vet which can get very costly to have tests and stuff done!!!

Ive had a lot of success with just damp playsand also. Make sure the sand is like 15 inches deep or more and give her a lot of privacy.

thanks for the help guys:D well i got a 100 gallon flexarium and the floor is 3ft wide by about 1.5ft deep and the laying container is just about as big as the floor of the flex. id say the container has about 7 inches of sand in it but its flat so if it needs to be deeper i might mount one side up a little. i have got two sticks goin down into the conainer and she has slept on one of the sticks when i first put the container in so she knows theyre there to get to the bottom. right ill try n get hold of some liquid calcium, cheers for that. thanks for you help every1.

I have panthers, but I'd say that 7" is too shallow. I have containers that are about 16" and my girls don't usually go all the way down, but they decide where to stop rather than: 'is this deep enough'. I'm using a simple black wastebasket from Wal-Mart: $2.50.

Cheers, Matt

right well ive mounted the sand up towards one side of the laying container so shes got more to lay in, im sure i read somehwere that 6 inches was enuff as it wud stop them digging massively deep holes or something, i might have misread it tho.

well as she isnt eatin, i mixed some of my calcium powder in some hot water and sprayed her with it as a normal misting, she drank some of it, will give her another spray later with the calcium powder/water mix

Back
Top Bottom