Still having leaking issues with mistking where tube enters bulkhead

I'm sorry, but that's not what it says. It says. "Install the reservoir bulkhead with 1-2 ft leading to the pump." It does not say 1-2 ft "above" the pump. I questioned the reason for this myself in a previous thread.

Many members here have successful installations with only a couple of inches height difference, and many have less than a foot of tubing between. I have 10" between reservoir & pump, and 2" height difference, and it's been working flawlessly since December—even with several power outages and system drainings.

Lindasjackson, what I'm seeing in your latest pics is that the tubing appears to be entering the bulkhead at an angle rather than straight in(?) If so, this is one possible reason for the leak—the collet can't make a good seal with the tube.

View attachment 307531

I also want to note that these tubes aren't made to NASA specifications.
That's right, my bad! 🙈

Hi Linda,
One thing and one question, the thing Is I once experienced the same problem ,you experience, with a check valve from one of the misting systems. Tried everything and eventually ended up buying a new one. Personally I think internally theirs small hair crack inside an O-ring, that explains leaking when more pressure against it is applied (more water in the container). In other words it’s broke and please do yourself a favor and buy another valve, otherwise it drives you crazy. You can buy them everywhere for just a few dollars and doesn’t need to be one from MistKing, as long as diameter is the same.

The question would be has it a flow direction? If yes, is it setup correctly? If not it could explain the leaking as well. And if this already has been discussed, I’m sorry, because didn’t read everything in detail.

I'm sorry, but that's not what it says. It says. "Install the reservoir bulkhead with 1-2 ft leading to the pump." It does not say 1-2 ft "above" the pump. I questioned the reason for this myself in a previous thread.

Many members here have successful installations with only a couple of inches height difference, and many have less than a foot of tubing between. I have 10" between reservoir & pump, and 2" height difference, and it's been working flawlessly since December—even with several power outages and system drainings.

Lindasjackson, what I'm seeing in your latest pics is that the tubing appears to be entering the bulkhead at an angle rather than straight in(?) If so, this is one possible reason for the leak—the collet can't make a good seal with the tube.

View attachment 307531

I also want to note that these tubes aren't made to NASA specifications.
thank you Klyde o scope! That’s the way i interpreted as well. And my mistking itself has worked flawlessly as far as the misting goes. It’s just this dumb leak at the collet. This tubing is so stiff that it makes it hard to do anything with it. I do think I will lift it up a bit and re insert the tube again and see how it works. i would replace the tubing between the reservoir and pump completely but i can’t get the collet on the pump end to let go of the tubing.

Hi Linda,
One thing and one question, the thing Is I once experienced the same problem ,you experience, with a check valve from one of the misting systems. Tried everything and eventually ended up buying a new one. Personally I think internally theirs small hair crack inside an O-ring, that explains leaking when more pressure against it is applied (more water in the container). In other words it’s broke and please do yourself a favor and buy another valve, otherwise it drives you crazy. You can buy them everywhere for just a few dollars and doesn’t need to be one from MistKing, as long as diameter is the same.

The question would be has it a flow direction? If yes, is it setup correctly? If not it could explain the leaking as well. And if this already has been discussed, I’m sorry, because didn’t read everything in detail.
Lthank you Sonny. I’m not sure what part you’re telling me to replace, the whole bulkhead or the collet or what. I wouldn’t know how to replace the collet. But yes it only seems to leak when I add more water so the water line is higher than the bulkhead.

Lthank you Sonny. I’m not sure what part you’re telling me to replace, the whole bulkhead or the collet or what. I wouldn’t know how to replace the collet. But yes it only seems to leak when I add more water so the water line is higher than the bulkhead.
I’m sorry I thought you used this for the bulkhead https://www.dutchrana.nl/en/shop/terrarium-technics/sprinkler-system/others-en/check-valve-2x6mm/
However the problem internally of the collet or could be cause by stiffness of the tube and the angle of it, like @Klyde O'Scope mentioned.

Okay, I’ve replaced the tube between the reservoir and the pump completely and the cuts are as absolutely straight as I could make them with my xacto knife and they looked straight to me. I made sure the tubing was at least two foot long and I added a small upside down bin I had under the reservoir to lift it a couple inches above the pump. With Gods help I believe that it’s fixed! It’s not leaking at the moment and I pray it doesn’t.

Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully 🤞🏻
I made the cuts ten times straight and perfect and it never work.......hopefully I’m wrong in your case.

Just....maybe just, where’s your filling point of the container in relation to your bulkhead? Can’t you just turn the container so water doesn’t press against the collet, because the pump sucks and doesn’t need gravity. This is how my container looks like, works perfect, and the collet is on top.
39D5EBDC-8C3B-45B5-A15D-9C7E85BE7B28.jpeg

Hmmm, how does the pump suck the water if your bulkhead is in the lid? The collet is just a tiny ring in the opening of the bulkhead that hold the tube tight. The bulkhead is the piece that you drill the hole for and screw tightly into the reservoir. I think the bulkhead needs to be in the side of the reservoir an inch or two above the bottom. I don’t keep my reservoir completely full. I just put enough distilled water to last a couple nights then I refill.

He sucks 😉🤗 therefore it doesn’t directly matter from which angle or where the suction hose is positioned, it doesn’t need gravity to get feed. It’s alone a problem if the reservoir is positioned inches lower then the pump, then it will loose capacity due the needed suction force to get the water towards the pump and therefore has less power to drive the nozzles. The more inches of hose length, the more lost of capacity / pressure

Last edited:
Hmmm, how does the pump suck the water if your bulkhead is in the lid? The collet is just a tiny ring in the opening of the bulkhead that hold the tube tight. The bulkhead is the piece that you drill the hole for and screw tightly into the reservoir. I think the bulkhead needs to be in the side of the reservoir an inch or two above the bottom. I don’t keep my reservoir completely full. I just put enough distilled water to last a couple nights then I refill.
This reservoir from the picture, the one I use, is around 5 gallon and gives me reserve for at least one week with 4 nozzles and 4 minutes misting a day

Well I’m glad it works well for you.

I did just check my bulkhead again and the collet is wet when I put my finger there but no drops of water so I’m calling it good. I did have a medium size empty bin I decided to put my reservoir into so if there is a major leak, which there won’t be, it will catch the water as well as the fact my cat can’t tip it over now. I’m happy.

Oh I didn’t take offense at anything. I just thankyou so much for your help! :) It’s so hard to tell emotion when reading a post so I hope you didn’t get offended at anything I said. It was all meant well.😊

Oh I didn’t take offense at anything. I just thankyou so much for your help! :) It’s so hard to tell emotion when reading a post so I hope you didn’t get offended at anything I said. It was all meant well.😊
Nope not at all, however we’ll get offensive sometimes 🤣🤣🤣 Damn digital crap, where’s the face to face era 😎

Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully 🤞🏻
I made the cuts ten times straight and perfect and it never work.......hopefully I’m wrong in your case.

Just....maybe just, where’s your filling point of the container in relation to your bulkhead? Can’t you just turn the container so water doesn’t press against the collet, because the pump sucks and doesn’t need gravity. This is how my container looks like, works perfect, and the collet is on top.
IDK what system you're using, but MistKing is very clear in a number of places that their system is gravity feed, and the reservoir must be higher than the pump. My initial attempt was to have them at the same level, and it just didn't work. In fact, it wouldn't work until I raised the reservoir 2" above the pump. One inch wasn't enough.

IDK what system you're using, but MistKing is very clear in a number of places that their system is gravity feed, and the reservoir must be higher than the pump. My initial attempt was to have them at the same level, and it just didn't work. In fact, it wouldn't work until I raised the reservoir 2" above the pump. One inch wasn't enough.
Hmmm, I’m using the Lucky Reptile Super Rain and I was really convinced all (misting) pumps are working the same, suction types. Even the plain simple Exo Terra. Just judging by the looks they all look pretty identical. Never went in detail with the MistKing, and I’m sorry for the confusion. With the pump I use the pump needs be placed level or above the reservoir, otherwise the nozzles could start unwanted dripping, unless you use a check valve.

From the MistKing Manual, Pg 11: (Among other places)

Why Don’t You Want To Install The Pump Above The Reservoir?​

If you have the pump above the reservoir water will first
need to be sucked up to the pump, then mist. Water will
never be instantly available when you need it. Always
gravity feed and be ready to mist right away!

All our nozzle tips contain a check valve that
will stop the majority of the dripping right at
the nozzle after misting. This is a great
feature but makes it more difficult for the
pump to self prime when the pump is above
the reservoir.

Remember: The pump is not a valve. If you
have the pump above the reservoir, water from the lines can drain between spraying,
leaving a pump full of air. This makes it difficult or impossible to self prime.

Always, gravity feed water to the pump for years of worry free service!​

Even though their nozzles contain check valves (which seem to work fine), they still sell an optional "ZipDrip Valve" that ostensibly reduces dripping nozzles. Personally, I don't see the point; I don't have one, and my nozzles only drip once after they stop misting, so I question the value. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom