Replace those O-Rings (a lesson learned)

jcarlsen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Long short of it, I was looking for a new reservoir for my distilled thanks to another post I saw on here and brought one home that I wasn't sure would fit. I'd been keeping my 5 gallon paint bucket as my reservoir for years and years with no issues, but had always kept a small towel under it if there was ever a leak.... which happened to be today. The towel was soaked all the way through and it had gotten to my wood floor and warped a few of the boards a bit and as I look the reservoir over I see the o-ring on the Mistking bulkhead had become brittle and started leaking. So, lesson learned! I'm gonna get a small plastic thing with a lip for my reservoir to sit on in case this happens again, but now I'm planning to inspect those o-rings at least every 6 months and replace as necessary!

IMG_0291.jpeg

So now I've got my backup reservoir in a different spot while a fan dries out the wood over the next day or so, but OOF.

Yes, installed the way the mist king instructions called for. Just looks like the o-ring might’ve deteriorated over the years
You do not need to have the bulkhead below the water line. You can go through the top of your bucket. The pump is easily capable of sucking the water up out of the bucket as long as it is primed ( has water in the pump already) that way you will avoid a leak.

Long short of it, I was looking for a new reservoir for my distilled thanks to another post I saw on here and brought one home that I wasn't sure would fit. I'd been keeping my 5 gallon paint bucket as my reservoir for years and years with no issues, but had always kept a small towel under it if there was ever a leak.... which happened to be today. The towel was soaked all the way through and it had gotten to my wood floor and warped a few of the boards a bit and as I look the reservoir over I see the o-ring on the Mistking bulkhead had become brittle and started leaking. So, lesson learned! I'm gonna get a small plastic thing with a lip for my reservoir to sit on in case this happens again, but now I'm planning to inspect those o-rings at least every 6 months and replace as necessary!

View attachment 334247

So now I've got my backup reservoir in a different spot while a fan dries out the wood over the next day or so, but OOF.
Me running in the other room to check mine now....

Forrest Gump Running GIF

Update: I did have a spare bulkhead and intact o-ring so that’s now been sitting since overnight with no leaks coming from it (fingers crossed)
2FD18F1A-F65F-4099-864F-82496922738B.jpeg

@Beman I found a dog food airtight container that fits neatly under my enclosure btw, just gotta wait for it to arrive 👀

You do not need to have the bulkhead below the water line. You can go through the top of your bucket. The pump is easily capable of sucking the water up out of the bucket as long as it is primed ( has water in the pump already) that way you will avoid a leak.
Really?? I kinda figured the pump would have some strength to do that, but I just figured manufacturers must know best lol. I’ll give that a shot when my new reservoir shows up, might save me some drilling.

I’ve always kept my reservoir in a little tub because if I don’t my cat would tip it over. The tub is big enough to contain any kind of leak but it’s good advice to check the o rings once in awhile!

View attachment 334247

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll be keeping an eye out for this.

Back
Top Bottom