questions about my chameleon enclosure

Keysd402

hi im new to the forum and new to chameleons. i dont have my cham yet but i have my enclosure mostly set up and just had a few questions and i wasnt sure who to ask. so i habe a reptibreeze xl deluxe which comes with an added LED strip, but every other light is a red light, is that safe for cham? also i have all live plants and i repotted them using black kow fertilizer, which is all organic but its starting to mold a little. is it safe to use or am i better off repotting with normal organic potting soil?my final question is with my mist king system, i cant seem to figure out how to get my bulkhead on my reservoir to not leak. I have the o ring on the inside and ive tightened the hell out of it but it still drips. Should i add some sort of silicone? And if so whats safe to use in said application? any help is appreciated

hi im new to the forum and new to chameleons. i dont have my cham yet but i have my enclosure mostly set up and just had a few questions and i wasnt sure who to ask. so i habe a reptibreeze xl deluxe which comes with an added LED strip, but every other light is a red light, is that safe for cham? also i have all live plants and i repotted them using black kow fertilizer, which is all organic but its starting to mold a little. is it safe to use or am i better off repotting with normal organic potting soil?my final question is with my mist king system, i cant seem to figure out how to get my bulkhead on my reservoir to not leak. I have the o ring on the inside and ive tightened the hell out of it but it still drips. Should i add some sort of silicone? And if so whats safe to use in said application? any help is appreciated
Sorry didnt mean to post twice

Hi and welcome! :) You’ll want to avoid the red and other colored lights - they can hurt sensitive chameleon eyes.
I love black cow for the garden, but for your houseplants/chameleon plants you’re much better off using a good organic potting mix. Do make sure that your plants have plenty of drainage and avoid over watering.
The Mist King bulk head is a challenge for many. Sometimes the problem is the size of the hole. I lacked the correct drill bit size, so I had no choice but to go smaller and work at it and then kind of force the bulk head thru. That worked really well. By the time I got my second Mist King, I had gotten the right size drill bit and had leaking. Make sure not to over tighten and that can cause leaking. I think I had to swap out the gasket for a different one. You can use a 100% aquarium grade silicone like GE brand. Make sure it is only the 100% and has no other additives. I hate the smell of silicone, so I can’t tell you what the cure time is, but I believe it’s however long it takes until it doesn’t stink. The tube should say. Hope I’ve been of some help.

Back
Top Bottom