Stick insect care/feeding?

Nick you are correct about the raspberry growing everywhere, the problem is it does not grow year round everywhere. You already know I live in Montana, and I only have raspberries about 4 months a year.
They are supposed to grow year round in Maryland but they dont.

My neighbor has thornless raspberries. Same species, they were just selectively bred so they will work. $20 is alot for any raspberry. And I'm sure you will get a tiny plant that you can't use for a year or more. It would be 2 years before it could be your main source. Also thornless doesn't mean no thorns... Look at the pic of the girl eating one off the plant.

As for the leaf litter... Holy Crap! My oak tree is worth a million bucks. Lol. A lot of stick nymphs won't eat oak. My adults barely touched dried oak. It needs to be frozen fresh apparently.

I can ship you fresh oak leaves (wrapped in a bag and misted, they should last) live raspberry and\or live rose (with roots) for the cost of shipping but if you look around, unless you are deep in the city, your neighbors probably have some. And probably would let you dig up a plant or two or cut some oak for free.

I have seen pictures and posts of the Indian Stick on light posts at night, and on peoples Rose bushes in southern California, but have not heard of any crops being affected.

My neighbor has thornless raspberries. Same species, they were just selectively bred so they will work. $20 is alot for any raspberry. And I'm sure you will get a tiny plant that you can't use for a year or more. It would be 2 years before it could be your main source. Also thornless doesn't mean no thorns... Look at the pic of the girl eating one off the plant.

As for the leaf litter... Holy Crap! My oak tree is worth a million bucks. Lol. A lot of stick nymphs won't eat oak. My adults barely touched dried oak. It needs to be frozen fresh apparently.

I can ship you fresh oak leaves (wrapped in a bag and misted, they should last) live raspberry and\or live rose (with roots) for the cost of shipping but if you look around, unless you are deep in the city, your neighbors probably have some. And probably would let you dig up a plant or two or cut some oak for free

I have found that any leaves laid in the bottom of the enclosure are not readily eaten, but if they are on the branch or hung from the ceiling/walls of the cage they are more likely to be eaten.

I can ship you fresh oak leaves (wrapped in a bag and misted, they should last) live raspberry and\or live rose (with roots) for the cost of shipping but if you look around, unless you are deep in the city, your neighbors probably have some. And probably would let you dig up a plant or two or cut some oak for free.

Thank you that would be appreciated. I'd definitely pay you for your trouble or trade some bugs or whatever.

So I think I know where I can get some oak. You say they don't take to it too well though? If I do enough searching I'm sure I could find oak and *maybe rose or BlackBerry in the summer. Still unsure of how I'd handle winter though. I'd hate to buy these nice sticks and then kill them from starvation. It's also hard to pass up on them lol.

I could probably find a better deal on a berry Bush at a local nursery, but like you said, would probably need to be huge to supply them.

Thank you that would be appreciated. I'd definitely pay you for your trouble or trade some bugs or whatever.

So I think I know where I can get some oak. You say they don't take to it too well though? If I do enough searching I'm sure I could find oak and *maybe rose or BlackBerry in the summer. Still unsure of how I'd handle winter though. I'd hate to buy these nice sticks and then kill them from starvation. It's also hard to pass up on them lol.

I could probably find a better deal on a berry Bush at a local nursery, but like you said, would probably need to be huge to supply them.

Remember my experience is with a different species so that may not be true of these.

I found an oak tree and raspberry bush. The insects have been murdering the raspberry bush but I found some good stems to prune off it

Keep looking. Check around softball fields too. I umpire and constantly see wild rose and raspberry. They don't tend to spray there either. If it's near water they won't spray. Btw, rose tends to be available in the fall longer and earlier in the spring. Often grows around raspberry.

I have been looking up how to grow eucalyptus for my spine sticks. It appears to be easy to grow, able to grow indoors with extra light or a window and can grow 8 ft a season. Eucalyptus gunnii can grow as far north as zone 6b (that's me) . For you, if you plant it close to the house, in the South side where it will get plenty of light and mulch the neck out of it, it might survive. Otherwise, you could start seeds in July of august ($4 on ebay) or get a small potted plant at a nursery and grow it under some LEDs or a South facing window all winter.

I have decent amount of experience of indoor gardening... The legal Kind so I can help you with that we well.

Thank you @NickTide I'm going to see if my local nursery has anything. Should i worry about pesticides they use. For my cham plants I usually just hose them down and leave them outside for several weeks before using them. Haven't had any problems. I'd imagine stick insects would be more sensitive though.

I would buy the plant, let it grow, then dispose of all the leaves that were on the plant at the store. Wild rose will grow way faster than the kind you get at a nursery. Wild ride has taken over chunks of my property.

The leaves are much smaller than regular roses and the stems are more lanky. If you find jaggers in your area that are not raspberries, you probably found rose. I'm not seeing flowers on my roses right now. Not sure if we are early or late.
growing-wild-roses-82326988-1280.jpg

I was watching YouTube videos of these(because of this thread) and my wife was like “are you turning into a science nerd” I just laughed and said, “don’t worry I still have my hands full with the Cham”. But what an interesting species! I didn’t know about them.

Back
Top Bottom