Squrimy Chameleon

userBandit

I am able to get my chameleon out of her enclosure she comes out when i offer her a worm, but she just wants to walk and walk and walk and won't just chill on my hand. Is there any way on working on getting your chameleon to not be so jittery and skittish?

Well ESPECIALLY when they are younger they are much more active and constantly on patrol. The climbing to your head is totally normal, chams like to be up as high as possible alot how cats like to perch on top, makes them feel more comfortable and in control. I wouldn't try to tame its activity in any way! Its good that you have an active cham, if anything sounds like you need a tree or some more plants for them to climb and even plants that hide them. Good luck🍻

I agree completely with what was said above. Chams like to be up high, especially in stressful situations. If for some reason you are dead set on wanting your cham to chill on your hand (I can't stop you, so...), just raise your hand above your head. Since your cham is in the highest possible position at the moment, she won't want to climb to your head. And you'll soon find out that raising your hand above your head will be quite the workout. She may look light, but soon you will swear she is heavier than a dumbbell. When this happens, it is best to put her back in her cage.

Chameleons really shouldn't be handled. Why put unneeded stress on your cham? No doubt she is beautiful, but she will thank you with her beautiful colors if you don't touch her.

I find complete bliss knowing my cham is "happy," so I just leave him alone and observe from a distance.

I agree completely with what was said above. Chams like to be up high, especially in stressful situations. If for some reason you are dead set on wanting your cham to chill on your hand (I can't stop you, so...), just raise your hand above your head. Since your cham is in the highest possible position at the moment, she won't want to climb to your head. And you'll soon find out that raising your hand above your head will be quite the workout. She may look light, but soon you will swear she is heavier than a dumbbell. When this happens, it is best to put her back in her cage.

Chameleons really shouldn't be handled. Why put unneeded stress on your cham? No doubt she is beautiful, but she will thank you with her beautiful colors if you don't touch her.

I find complete bliss knowing my cham is "happy," so I just leave him alone and observe from a distance.
I agree completely with your statements, I just like to work on handling so I can get her out to clean her cage, take her to the vet, etc. It's a good skill to have. I do this very little, once a week. My chameleon actually never really shows too many signs of aggression she is pretty chill.

chameleons will jump as last resort for survival if they think they will lose their life.... you build trust by feeding...read about it on this forum...do research.... I have tamed chameleons this way...it is not all of a sudden....it requires standing there still with food for an hour sometimes...fyi....eye contact with a skiddish cham means the challenge is accepted....the fight will be on....or run for safety....

I am able to get my chameleon out of her enclosure she comes out when i offer her a worm, but she just wants to walk and walk and walk and won't just chill on my hand.
Chameleons aren't really "chill with you" lizards like bearded dragons.

Is there any way on working on getting your chameleon to not be so jittery and skittish?
There are articles & vids on Taming your Chameleon. It takes time & patience, the caveat being, all animals are different individuals; some may take to taming/handling, and some may never take to it.

I agree completely with your statements, I just like to work on handling so I can get her out to clean her cage, take her to the vet, etc. It's a good skill to have. I do this very little, once a week. My chameleon actually never really shows too many signs of aggression she is pretty chill.
Handling isn't absolutely necessary for any of those things. Many experts advise using a branch to assist in moving or relocating rather than your hand (at first, anyway).

Back
Top Bottom