Spots/lumps on my male Panther

lilychams55

Hi there I have had my male Panther for nearly 2 years now and he has always done great, about 4 months ago I noticed these small lumps on him and took him to a vet who just said to up the humidity. I have done that and am using purified water, however they are going down on his body but the one on his eye is actually getting bigger and it's really worrying me! I'm thinking of taking him to the vet again! Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any opinion on here.
293f8ab4b2a48cceccec6d4d1065101e.jpg
673885e838bf341ddc38e80e61ae2da0.jpg

Hi there First I would say you need to get a different vet if that is the advice you were given. I hate to tell you this, but it looks like your chameleon has a virus I believe they call it Pox. I don't know the long technical name for it, that is the name in short. There is a girl named Ginger Scott who runs House of Chameleons Rescue. She has a veild that has got this and the eye growths looks exactly like that with those little spikes shooting out. The chameleon is also coverned in massive growths from the virus that just keep multiplying. Seeing that it is a virus, and not an infection, I do not know what type of meds can work for it. I do know it just keeps spreading and she has had many surgeries to try and remove the growths on this Veild. He is 100 times worse than yours. If you go on FB you can search her page. I would message her or write on your timeline. Post some pics of him on her page. I am pretty sure you are dealing with the same thing and in the early stages. She is also a member on here, but I never see her on here anymore so your best bet would be to contact her. I could be wrong, but I have never seen spiky growths like that, just on that Veild and that is what he has. Good luck with him! I am editing this as I think it is called the Papilloma virus that causes hornlike like growths. Still I would contact Ginger.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice I will try that what's her page on Facebook called?? I really appreciate your input thank you! I am taking him to a different vet this time who I actually work with as I'm training to be a vet nurse! Before I went to an exotics vet and he wasn't a huge amount of help but charged me a huge amount of money !

Thanks the vet told me that I need to break the spike off and then use this hydrating spray on a cotton bud to wipe that are without getting any in the eye! I will see if this helps and let you know xx

And what is that supposed to do by breaking off the spike? I am not so sure that is good advice. Please pm our vet on here. Her name is Dayna and she is very experienced with chameleons. Her member name is ferretinmyshoes. Ask her to look at the thread and what you should do.

Ok but his theory is that if I broke off the spike then the medication spray could get down to the base of the problem and sort it! It is working there are no more lumps just a dark coloured patch now but looks like that's where it's healing!

There are a few possibilities.

Main one is that is a viral infection, applying a topical treatment would only be so useful.

The other is you are dealing with a fungal infection, it's been years since I've seen one however. That went away with the method your vet is having you attempt. Based on that I would think your vet is looking at it as a fungal or similar infection. Has any lab work been done? That will end the debate.

Second opinions are rarely a bad thing to get. I'd consider one if you can.

I would also be wondering whether individual treated sites might heal temporarily, but the underlying disease could still be present. It may just recur over and over in new places unless the systemic problem is identified and treated systemically (assuming there is any treatment for it). Just something to be prepared for.

It sure looks like the Papilloma Virus to me. Of course, I am not a vet and don't claim to be! Just from what I have seen from other keepers who have dealt with something very similar. Research it and you will see it consists of spiky, hornlike growths. No cure as it is virus, just removal of the growths to keep things under control from what I have learned.

Thanks guys I have contacted the vet on here you told me about but no reply yet! So far it's working but if the problem does crop up again in new places like said above then I will be taking him back and maybe to a different vet! I agree it seem very similar to what have mentioned carol5208 I will keep at it and see how it goes! Thank you for all the input though guys I really do appreciate it and value everything that's been said! I think with things like this it can be slightly trial and error xx

Sorry, it took me some time to find your thread without a link or name in your message. You've gotten some good advice so far, and I agree with Carol's concerns that these are probably viral growths, although fungal is also possible. There are two viruses that cause horn like dermal growths - papilloma and pox viruses. I had a veiled with papilloma myself but have seen panthers with pox. The only way to know is to biopsy one of the growths - removing it including the skin underneath and sending it to a lab for analysis. Unfortunately with viral growths there is no cure aside from surgically removing them but more can grow. I removed about ten from my veiled - his was slow growing and not very aggressive fortunately. The best bet is to remove them while they're small because they can continue to grow enough to obscure the eye or large enough to impede movement. Not a lot of research has been done on viruses to know the full effect but there is a risk of internal damage as well. With mine with papilloma he did not have any evidence of viral infiltration to his internal organs when he passed at least.

Back
Top Bottom