Sphag moss in Veiled enclosure?

Im not new to this forum or chameleon care but I have heard "do not use substrate for Veileds" ive been thinking of putting in some sphag moss and springtails so that i dont have to clean it so frequently and it doesnt smell bad. My question is, would this be a bad thing? I feel like my cham cannot get impacted by sphag moss, but i wanted to see what you other cham owners think and see if anyone else has done it?

Im not new to this forum or chameleon care but I have heard "do not use substrate for Veileds" ive been thinking of putting in some sphag moss and springtails so that i dont have to clean it so frequently and it doesnt smell bad. My question is, would this be a bad thing? I feel like my cham cannot get impacted by sphag moss, but i wanted to see what you other cham owners think and see if anyone else has done it?
First of all, who said no substrate for Veiled's? They can have a bioactive environment, but I don't know about Sphagnum moss, that might grow mold, and cause impaction.

I personally would not use sphag moss, Veileds are known for eating things like plants etc. and moss can cause impaction quickly. Bio active like Cj said can work but you need to do research on how to set it up properly! Side note I have 4 chams in the same room and I never smell anything?? Usually really smelly poops means sickness.

A bioactive substrate can include spagnum moss, but it’s mixed into the dirt to provide fuel for the cleanup crew. Making the bottom layer all moss could potentially lead to problems. Do your research, bioactive is by far the best way to go in my opinion, but it takes some time to understand it.

Back
Top Bottom