Bad Smell

CrazyBear

Hello Everyone!

In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that my office where my chameleon is living is beginning to smell really bad. I thought it was the bugs at first so I moved them but the smell just keeps getting bad. I clean the enclosure every couple of days and it just gets worse. I'm now thinking it could be the soil that the plants are in. Could this be the problem and has anyone else dealt with this? I am hating being in my office to work with this smell.

Hello Everyone!

In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that my office where my chameleon is living is beginning to smell really bad. I thought it was the bugs at first so I moved them but the smell just keeps getting bad. I clean the enclosure every couple of days and it just gets worse. I'm now thinking it could be the soil that the plants are in. Could this be the problem and has anyone else dealt with this? I am hating being in my office to work with this smell.
What does it smell like? Can you share some photos of your enclosure?

Attachments

• IMG_6480.jpeg
    IMG_6480.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6479.jpeg
    IMG_6479.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6476.jpeg
    IMG_6476.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6474.jpeg
    IMG_6474.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 44
Wow what a beautiful set up you have!

I am wondering if maybe one of your bottom plants has gathered too much water in the soil and the smell is maybe coming from that. Do you have stuff you can repot those in?

Hi and welcome to the forum, what kind of soil did you use and do you know if it had natural fertilizer in it like bat guano or anything else of that nature? Also did you mix your soil with any sand and or any kind of rocks to help with drainage?

This is the soil I use and yes I mixed it with Leica balls for good drainage

Attachments

• IMG_6481.jpeg
    IMG_6481.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6482.jpeg
    IMG_6482.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6484.jpeg
    IMG_6484.jpeg
    524.5 KB · Views: 38
I use organic garden soil, which has nothing in it at all. An organic potting soil may be free from fertilizers. It’s pricey, but Fox Farms has nice soils. I’ve used the ocean forest one in a bioactive set up and there was only a pleasant earthy smell and only up close.

Thank you so much. I will go to the store tomorrow to get some new soil. Any suggestion on which soil to get?
This is what I use I do a 50/50 mix of this and sand with some smooth rocks for good drainage... 20230818_232712.jpg 20230818_232744.jpg and 1/4 to 1/3 coconut fiber to hold in moisture so I don't have to worry about watering as offen.
I found this at lowes if your in the U.S.A I have heard if you use coconut fiber it can carry parasites so I always purchase the bricks so I can freeze them for 3 or 4 days to kill anything that might be in it. Idk if that's true but for me I would rather be safe than sorry. Lol

Last edited:
Smell your pots before you dump them...

Double check your drain pan as well.

Last question do you have crickets? These little things will pack a smelly punch if you are not consistently rotating the bins every other day or so.

I use fox farms soil and a layer of clay balls in the bottom for drainage. It does have an earthly smell but nothing disgusting.

Smell your pots before you dump them...

Double check your drain pan as well.

Last question do you have crickets? These little things will pack a smelly punch if you are not consistently rotating the bins every other day or so.

I use fox farms soil and a layer of clay balls in the bottom for drainage. It does have an earthly smell but nothing disgusting.
Thank you for your reply and help, I don't have crickets at the moment since i rotate his food. I honestly don't smell really anything from the soil the plants are in or his drainage tray. I am just going to try and repot and see if this helps at all.

Thank you for your reply and help, I don't have crickets at the moment since i rotate his food. I honestly don't smell really anything from the soil the plants are in or his drainage tray. I am just going to try and repot and see if this helps at all.
Best of luck! Let us know what you find!

Back
Top Bottom