Spare Help To Someone Not Only New To Pet Chameleons, But Pet Reptiles In General!

No problem. I just want you to be a successful chameleon keeper and raise a healthy chameleon.

By the way, did you know females lay infertile eggs, like chickens! Around 6 months of age she will need a lay bin with playsand, moist enough to hold a tunnel but not soaking wet. It should become a perminent part of her enclosure. You can see mine in the bottom in that picture of the full enclosure.
Really!? That is strangely cool and something I will need to know so that I will not just see them one day and wonder what happened! lol.

No problem. I just want you to be a successful chameleon keeper and raise a healthy chameleon.

By the way, did you know females lay infertile eggs, like chickens! Around 6 months of age she will need a lay bin with playsand, moist enough to hold a tunnel but not soaking wet. It should become a perminent part of her enclosure. You can see mine in the bottom in that picture of the full enclosure.

Oh really!? That is strangely cool lol. I'll need to know that so that when it happens one day I won't be freaked out haha.
Edit: Did not mean to put this reply twice, I didn't see it go through lol

Really!? That is strangely cool and something I will need to know so that I will not just see them one day and wonder what happened! lol.
Yes, if you do not,provide a space for her to lay them, she may become egg bound...and die...

But that is worst case scenario, and it really isnt a scary thing if your husbandry is good! Be sure to use the supplements that I mentioned, that is very important. And get that T5 light bar asap. Those 2 things (supplements and proper lights) go hand in hand and are crucial.

@AmandaS
Hey! So, I just added a lot more foliage to my cage, and they are all living. Here's a picture of it. Is this is a good amount? And do I need to put more up higher?
Also, you probably noticed the light source is still a bit low. I was going to try and do what you did and use plastic cups to hold it up. However, the plastic cups I have are red. Are those fine to use even though they might block some of the light?
20200803_115443.jpg

Where did you get her??

chameleon academy is a very informative and good website to check out as hydra cosplay just said
After looking around the forums, people are going to get mad at me, but I got her from PetCo ?
But, after looking at her and trying to find if something was wrong with her, nothing seems off about her whatsoever. They had practically just gotten a new shipment of chameleons when I picked her up.
And okay, @Hydra_cosplay had also recommended that website, so I'll check it out!

After looking around the forums, people are going to get mad at me, but I got her from PetCo ?
But, after looking at her and trying to find if something was wrong with her, nothing seems off about her whatsoever. They had practically just gotten a new shipment of chameleons when I picked her up.
And okay, @Hydra_cosplay had also recommended that website, so I'll check it out!
Nothing wrong with that IMO my first boy is a petco boy. He was literally there for a few days before I picked him up...
Start reading through the husbandry program. It will literally tell you in depth far more then we can https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
and here is the care specific for Veileds https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Nothing wrong with that IMO my first boy is a petco boy. He was literally there for a few days before I picked him up...
Start reading through the husbandry program. It will literally tell you in depth far more then we can https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
and here is the care specific for Veileds https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
Okay, thank you for the link! And yeah, looking around the forums, I kind of assumed that every dislikes PetCo/PetSmart and the 'dreaded chameleon kit.' :ROFLMAO:

Okay, thank you for the link! And yeah, looking around the forums, I kind of assumed that every dislikes PetCo/PetSmart and the 'dreaded chameleon kit.' :ROFLMAO:
There are benefits of getting one from a breeder. You know the genetics, the prior care, and overall well being. But with petco/petsmart you do not know anything. Getting them right after they get them in you have a better chance of not getting one with a husbandry related health issue like MBD.

We do dislike petco/petsmart for obvious reasons, but most of us have done it not knowing any better. Going forward I'd suggest a breeder, but we don't hate you for it.:)

We do dislike petco/petsmart for obvious reasons, but most of us have done it not knowing any better. Going forward I'd suggest a breeder, but we don't hate you for it.:)
Yeah, you could probably tell from the title of this thread that I am a complete amateur at this lol. I live kind of in a rural area in Texas, so finding a breeder for reptiles is a bit challenging, but I'll keep my eyes open for one if I ever want to get another chameleon. And I have to admit, this has to be a forum with the nicest people of all time! I'm definitely sticking around! ?

Yeah, you could probably tell from the title of this thread that I am a complete amateur at this lol. I live kind of in a rural area in Texas, so finding a breeder for reptiles is a bit challenging, but I'll keep my eyes open for one if I ever want to get another chameleon. And I have to admit, this has to be a forum with the nicest people of all time! I'm definitely sticking around! ?

For sure no hard feelings. Glad to have you. There are several very good breeders that ship chameleons too.

OHHH NOOOOOO NOT PETCOOO!!!!!............jk. My jasmine was bought from petco as well 2 years ago.

The big problem with petco is that some people who know that petco is bad buy from there thinking that they will 'save the chameleon'. But actually, they are just making higher demand for them so petco buys more and more.

The only way to stop petco is to stop buying from them so they think its not worth it with low demand.

OHHH NOOOOOO NOT PETCOOO!!!!!............jk. My jasmine was bought from petco as well 2 years ago.

The big problem with petco is that some people who know that petco is bad buy from there thinking that they will 'save the chameleon'. But actually, they are just making higher demand for them so petco buys more and more.

The only way to stop petco is to stop buying from them so they think its not worth it with low demand.
I don't know if PetSmart is any better, but I had tried looking there first, and because of this whole COVID-19 mess, they haven't received new chameleons in months. And I do believe the whole thing that they treat their chameleons as just items. When I had picked her up, there were 3 other chameleons in the cage with her. (Which I've heard having chameleons all together in a cage is a horrible idea because of how territorial they are.) And their food was just meal worms sitting in a bowl, and Twoey (My chameleon) doesn't like meal worms at all so she would of been dying of hunger if they didn't put any crickets in there.

petsmart is unfortunately basically the same.

The deal with the pet stores is that they don't really care they just want money. They put their chams in crappy cages because they know they will just sell it soon. And if they don't sell they will put them in literally a box in the back of the store.

At a young age chams technically can be kept together but once they get older....no.

Also mealworms/superworms are not a good source of nutrition, crickets are alright but you might want to browse for something else.

Back
Top Bottom