Spare Help To Someone Not Only New To Pet Chameleons, But Pet Reptiles In General!

Jokeya

Hello there! As the title informs you, I am completely new to chameleons/reptiles as pets. I have only ever had dogs and freshwater fish. I mainly just made this so I can find out what would be good for my chameleon. Here is some general information and some questions I have that I would love answers for!

Species Specific: I have a female veiled chameleon. I'm not sure how old she is, but she's about 3-4 inches from head to the end of her tail. I've heard that veiled chameleons are a species that love to bask, and I don't really have a stable way for her to get right up to the bulbs. Twice now though, she has climbed herself up to the very top of the cage. (The cage is screened and about a foot in a half in length and width, and about 3 feet in height.) She has fallen twice now from there. She hasn't been hurt either times, but she for sure gets scared. I think I'll just get some foliage that leads up to it because I don't want to see her falling down anymore. My main question is though, how close is she allowed to be near the bulbs? Which leads to my next thing...

Lighting and Heating: At the moment, I have a Zoo Med Deep Dome lighting fixture suspended about a centimetre above the cage's roof. The lights I have inside it at the moment are two 5.0 UVB Reptisun bulbs. Originally, I had only one of those bulbs and a 60w Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb, but I had gone to the chameleon subreddit before this, and the owner of the subreddit said to replace that. I just want to know if having two 5.0 UVB Reptisuns are fine.

Feeding and Drinking: For both of these, she is doing great! She loves crickets, but dislikes meal worms. I usually put crickets in there periodically throughout the day. About 4 crickets go into the cage total. I've only had her for 3 days and I've dusted only one cricket so far with some of those vitamins (without D3). Should I be doing dusting more often? With water, I have a drip line constantly putting water onto some of the foliage, and she drinks off of them no problem.

Getting a Close Bond: My main question at the moment is, how do I get her close to me? I've learned they are very territorial and I need to get her to interact with me rather than the other way around. I've tried hand feeding, but she didn't seem to interested, and plus, crickets just do not stand still and will eventually jump off of me. I've heard having the door open as much as I can will eventually make her wander out and I can manage to get her on my hand. After that, I could take her basking outside or climb different objects. Problem is though, I live in Texas. And it being summer right now, it's usually about 95-105 degrees, so I can't really take her basking lol.

I would love some advice on this since I'm so new to it! Thank you all!
Also, here are some pictures of the cage, the lighting system, the drip line, and my chameleon herself! (Her name is Twoey, named after Audrey II from my favorite movie/musical of all time, Little Shop of Horrors!) Twoey.jpg Cage.jpg Lights.jpg Dripline.jpg

So for lighting you will want to get a T5HO (5.0 or 6%). This is long linear bar light and is a necessity, and have a branch 9 inches below it so she gets proper UV. Your current bulbs do not provide enough useable UV for her.

It is fine for her to climb the screen. She will do thos until she gets too heavy. Your cage is too small (fine for now but need an upgrade very soon). She will need a 2ftx2ftx4ft enclosure. It is the extra large version of what you currently have. And she needs all live plants, and a ton more. Open space is wasted space. She lives in trees and will need a ton of places to hide.

She will need a calcium without D3every feeding but 2 a month. Lets say the 1st and 15th. On those 2 days she will get a multivitamin with D3 in it. I use reptivite.

She also needs a bunch of bugs right now. About 12-15 given in the morning. Mealworms are low in nutrition and hard to digest. Ill add a feeder image. All your feeder will habe to be gutloaded. Ill add a gutloading image.

@Beman has a great blog about bonding. Im willing to bet she will link it for you.

Ill also add the image of sage plants so youcan use it while plant shopping.

oh yeah, your basking bulb can be a regular old-fashioned incandescent light bulb. And it needs to be far enough that she doesnt get a burn....i like it 9 inches away also.

Also..a feeder cup like the shooting gallery from tkchameleons.com or the fullthrottlefeeder.com

Both feeder runs are wonderful to keep the bugs contained.

Make sure you are misting her plants for 2-3 full minutes in the am and pm and her lights are on for 12 hour intervals.

Last edited:
So for lighting you will want to get a T5HO (5.0 or 6%). This is long linear bar light and is a necessity, and have a branch 9 inches below it so she gets proper UV. Your current bulbs do not provide enough useable UV for her.

It is fine for her to climb the screen. She will do thos until she gets too heavy. Your cage is too small (fine for now but need an upgrade very soon). She will need a 2ftx2ftx4ft enclosure. It is the extra large version of what you currently have. And she needs all live plants, and a ton more. Open space is wasted space. She lives in trees and will need a ton of places to hide.

She will need a calcium without D3every feeding but 2 a month. Lets say the 1st and 15th. On those 2 days she will get a multivitamin with D3 in it. I use reptivite.

She also needs a bunch of bugs right now. About 12-15 given in the morning. Mealworms are low in nutrition and hard to digest. Ill add a feeder image. All your feeder will habe to be gutloaded. Ill add a gutloading image.

@Beman has a great blog about bonding. Im willing to bet she will link it for you.

Ill also add the image of sage plants so youcan use it while plant shopping.

Thank you so much for all the info! I'll make sure to save all of this information in a notepad I have specific for chameleon info. I will say, I do not have money right now. I'm only really soon going to be able to learn how to drive then get a job. However! My birthday is very soon, and I'll make sure to not only ask for the things I need, but also ask for money so I can get most of it myself. Again, thank you so much for the info!

Okay, but word of warning, your chameleon will get very stressed out in such an empty cage. You can go out into your yard or somewhere nearby to get branches. Make sure it is hardwood and not soft wood (wood with sap) like pine.

Okay, but word of warning, your chameleon will get very stressed out in such an empty cage. You can go out into your yard or somewhere nearby to get branches. Make sure it is hardwood and not soft wood (wood with sap) like pine.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It may be a bit hard to see, but there are a couple live branches in there. I'll make sure to add more!

A plant like a large money tree, a large pothos, or a large schefflera will fill out your enclosure and be enough to satisfy your chameleon.
In my females cage I only have 1 pothos. (2 tiny plants that are growing in, but do not add coverage)

Ill show you below:
0725200950b.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It may be a bit hard to see, but there are a couple live branches in there. I'll make sure to add more!
I do see them down low. Keep in mind your baby want to live in the tree top, not down low. So put the branches higher (elevate your lights if you need to). Think tree canopy.

I do see them down low. Keep in mind your baby want to live in the tree top, not down low. So put the branches higher (elevate your lights if you need to). Think tree canopy.
Ok, yeah that is quite high. I had originally had a branch that was quite up to the top of the cage, I just got paranoid when I put it there because reading so much information online, I see constant things saying "Keep your trees a bit low from the light source so that your chameleon doesn't burn itself." But, she doesn't seem to mind getting right under the light, even purposefully putting herself there. So I'll get not only more branches, but much taller branches.

Ok, yeah that is quite high. I had originally had a branch that was quite up to the top of the cage, I just got paranoid when I put it there because reading so much information online, I see constant things saying "Keep your trees a bit low from the light source so that your chameleon doesn't burn itself." But, she doesn't seem to mind getting right under the light, even purposefully putting herself there. So I'll get not only more branches, but much taller branches.
You do need to make sure she isnt getting,burnt. She will snuggle right up to the bulb if,you let her, and she will burn herself without realizing.
Thats why I say to elevate your lights. I have light clips, and for my T5 light bar I just little cups under them. You can see in that picture.

The heat bulb that looks really close is an optical illusion. It is 9 inches away and hanging on the curtain rod.

You do need to make sure she isnt getting,burnt. She will snuggle right up to the bulb if,you let her, and she will burn herself without realizing.
Thats why I say to elevate your lights. I have light clips, and for my T5 light bar I just little cups under them. You can see in that picture.

The heat bulb that looks really close is an optical illusion. It is 9 inches away and hanging on the curtain rod.

Alrighty. I'll have to prop it up with cups as well probably since I had bought a stand to hold the lights, but it ended up not being tall enough and only suspended the lights about that centimetre away. Will definitely start looking into it and will probably prop the lights up tonight and get more branches tomorrow morning.

15964130749861365117630.jpg

It is 9 inches from her basking spot, but like 2 or 3 inches from the screen...

BUT, my female doesnt climb the screen anymore becaise sje is heavier and it not comfortable to her anymore. You will have to be a little more careful for a while.

A good rule of thumb is to place your hand as close as she can get to the bulb and hold it there for several minutes. If it isn't too hot for you it should be good for her.

Her basking spot (the very hottest spot in the cage) should only be 80-81 degrees Fahrenheit. Then around mid 70s throughout the rest of the enclosure.

Alrighty. I'll have to prop it up with cups as well probably since I had bought a stand to hold the lights, but it ended up not being tall enough and only suspended the lights about that centimetre away. Will definitely start looking into it and will probably prop the lights up tonight and get more branches tomorrow morning.
Awesome.

Also, one more note, be sure to get digital thermometer/hydrometer readers (with probe) because the analog ones are very unreliable...
Idk what you have or how you measure temps or humidity.

Humidity should be 30-50% during the day and close to 100% at night. I use a humidifier crom 12-4am.

View attachment 273736

It is 9 inches from her basking spot, but like 2 or 3 inches from the screen...

BUT, my female doesnt climb the screen anymore becaise sje is heavier and it not comfortable to her anymore. You will have to be a little more careful for a while.

A good rule of thumb is to place your hand as close as she can get to the bulb and hold it there for several minutes. If it isn't too hot for you it should be good for her.

Her basking spot (the very hottest spot in the cage) should only be 80-81 degrees Fahrenheit. Then around mid 70s throughout the rest of the enclosure.

Thank you so much for that detailed picture and description. That 100% helps me figure out what's good for her. I will do that!

Sorry all this info is spread throughout many posts. It is helpful to fill out the "how to ask for help" form..
If you use the search bar you can find it, for future references. ?

And my phone hates spell check obviously. Hah

Awesome.

Also, one more note, be sure to get digital thermometer/hydrometer readers (with probe) because the analog ones are very unreliable...
Idk what you have or how you measure temps or humidity.

Humidity should be 30-50% during the day and close to 100% at night. I use a humidifier crom 12-4am.

Oh yeah! I have one, I just haven't set it up yet. I'll get on that while I setup the fixture to be in a better spot!

Sorry all this info is spread throughout many posts. It is helpful to fill out the "how to ask for help" form..
If you use the search bar you can find it, for future references. ?

And my phone hates spell check obviously. Hah

Oh, it is no problem whatsoever! You have been a massive help, I can't thank you enough! And trust me, I have that problem too. That's why I use my computer almost every time I need to post on forums lol.

Oh, it is no problem whatsoever! You have been a massive help, I can't thank you enough!
No problem. I just want you to be a successful chameleon keeper and raise a healthy chameleon.

By the way, did you know females lay infertile eggs, like chickens! Around 6 months of age she will need a lay bin with playsand, moist enough to hold a tunnel but not soaking wet. It should become a perminent part of her enclosure. You can see mine in the bottom in that picture of the full enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom