Something possibly in chameleons eye

colewill

Need help with my Panther Cham.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? About a year old panther chameleon.
Ive had him for around 10 months now

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Rarely. Only to clean and when necessary.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
He was eating crickets, superworms, hornworms, and dubia roaches but has stopped eating crickets and dubias. I feed him every morning. Gut loading with repashy bug burger.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Im using rep cal calcium at every feeding and d3 at the end of every two weeks and rep cal multi vitamins the next two following weeks.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a monsoon mister set to go off every 3 hours for a minute. I see him drinking often.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Hes fecal matter has recently started having orange in the urates.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Hes been very healthy until the past week or two.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
4x2x2 Screen enclosure.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have a repti sun 5.0 linear uvb along with a 90w basking bulb. 12 hours of light 12 of darkness.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is 90-95 with ambient temps of 75 and 70 towards the very bottom of the enclosure. I have a digital thermometer along with a temp gun. Drops to 65 at night.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity was low in the past but i now have a room humidifier along with mistings which gets it to around 30-40% and 50% in the enclosure.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
All live plants. Pothos and Umbrella

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? His cage is in a low traffic reptile room. Its 4 feet off the ground.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
North Carolina

I think my panther chameleon possibly has something stuck in his eye. This has caused him to slow down on eating a lot. Hes only had a superworm a day and an occasional hornworm over the past two weeks and im concerned. Ive been giving him warm showers to help whatever is stuck but it doesnt seem to be helping. He seems to enjoy the shower a lot and drinks but still is not eating much. I also see him trying to clean his eyes while in the shower but still is keeping one shut at a time. Today is the worst i think hes been. Hes been on the same branch pretty much all day with eyes closed. I think im gonna take him to the vet because hes seeming to get more and more lethargic. What about a saline flush? If you guys have any suggestions please give me some advice. Let me know if you need pictures of anything else.

Attachments

• 8157EBC2-AADE-48BB-9AFE-0987FB5ECDBA.jpeg
    8157EBC2-AADE-48BB-9AFE-0987FB5ECDBA.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 14B664D9-56D8-45C0-9DA3-E81E98D64C4C.jpeg
    14B664D9-56D8-45C0-9DA3-E81E98D64C4C.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 5366BD03-E529-41B9-A424-3875A58E04BC.jpeg
    5366BD03-E529-41B9-A424-3875A58E04BC.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 158
I don't think that there is anything in his eye, I think there is an underlying problem, maybe an internal problem you cannot see, if he had something in his eye he would be trying to get it out by rubbing it on a branch or moving it around. usually chameleons will keep problems to themselves until it gets too far gone so its good that youre catching this early, I would recommend taking him to a vet because this may unfortunately be a much bigger problem than just something in his eye

I don't think that there is anything in his eye, I think there is an underlying problem, maybe an internal problem you cannot see, if he had something in his eye he would be trying to get it out by rubbing it on a branch or moving it around. usually chameleons will keep problems to themselves until it gets too far gone so its good that youre catching this early, I would recommend taking him to a vet because this may unfortunately be a much bigger problem than just something in his eye
I was planning on taking him tomorrow.

Please note NO warm showers... What is warm to you is hot to him. We do not put chams in baths or showers because it can cause extreme stress. Additional mistings can be helpful if something is stuck in the eye but you would need to manually mist. Typically 1 minute mistings are not long enough to trigger both eye cleaning and drinking. Most of us do 2-3 minutes. Orange in the urate if it is more then 50% means he is dehydrated.

Eyes closed means vet now. Try to take in a fecal as well to rule out a parasite issue. But @kinyonga is right when did you change his UVB light? Also what multivitamin are you using? Is it the Herpitvite? If so this does not have preformed vitamin A only beta carotene which can effect the eyes.
Basking temp is a bit hot should be 85-90.

Please note NO warm showers... What is warm to you is hot to him. We do not put chams in baths or showers because it can cause extreme stress. Additional mistings can be helpful if something is stuck in the eye but you would need to manually mist. Typically 1 minute mistings are not long enough to trigger both eye cleaning and drinking. Most of us do 2-3 minutes. Orange in the urate if it is more then 50% means he is dehydrated.

Eyes closed means vet now. Try to take in a fecal as well to rule out a parasite issue. But @kinyonga is right when did you change his UVB light? Also what multivitamin are you using? Is it the Herpitvite? If so this does not have preformed vitamin A only beta carotene which can effect the eyes.
Hes been eating and drinking today and seems way more alert. Im still taking him to the vet, I’ll keep you all updated

His fecal really doesnt lo

Yes its the herptivite. What multivitamin to you recommend? And i also lowered his basking temp down to 89.

His fecal really doesnt lo

Yes its the herptivite. What multivitamin to you recommend? And i also lowered his basking temp down to 89.
His fecal really doesnt lo ?

As far as a supplement reptivite is a good one just get the one without D3 since you have one you use with D3 already.

His fecal really doesnt lo ?

As far as a supplement reptivite is a good one just get the one without D3 since you have one you use with D3 already.
His fecal looks mucousy.I bagged it up and its going in for a fecal analysis. Hes only been wanting to eat superworms and hornworms. He used to love dubias and crickets but wont touch them anymore. I just got some silkworms too so hopefully hell enjoy those.

His fecal looks mucousy.I bagged it up and its going in for a fecal analysis. Hes only been wanting to eat superworms and hornworms. He used to love dubias and crickets but wont touch them anymore. I just got some silkworms too so hopefully hell enjoy those.
Ok have them run the fecal... Mucous is not good. Let us know what the results come back as. Yes, his multivitamin should contain Preformed A so I would switch that and either get a mistking to replace the monsoon so you can have longer misting sessions. But the fact that you are saying this about the fecal makes me lean toward parasites.

Ok have them run the fecal... Mucous is not good. Let us know what the results come back as. Yes, his multivitamin should contain Preformed A so I would switch that and either get a mistking to replace the monsoon so you can have longer misting sessions. But the fact that you are saying this about the fecal makes me lean toward parasites.
Im at the vet right now. He weighs 170 grams. Does that seem normal for his age? Currently getting a fecal analysis.

Well at least they are being thorough. A blood test will tell you if there are other possibly issues.
You all were right about the parasites. Getting some medicine for that to mix with some bug mush and mix together to medicate him and get some food in his system. Also got ointment for the eyes.

You all were right about the parasites. Getting some medicine for that to mix with some bug mush and mix together to medicate him and get some food in his system. Also got ointment for the eyes.
What did they say he has? Be careful force feeding. Unless he is not eating for a week or two then you have to worry. Just get the meds in. The meds have to be given a certain way as well anything you do that you are giving by mouth you have to aim a certain way so he does not aspirate it. Look and read through this http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Back
Top Bottom