Somebody please help me!!!

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!

So my Beautiful Veiled Chameleon of 2yrs has ESCAPED!!! he's climbed his way into a heap of trouble, A GIANT WILLOW TREE!!!
i've searched in vain and cannot seem to find him, though i KNOW he's up there (my mother has spotted him). I searched where she last saw him but could not find him myself. Does anybody have any information to offer on how i increase my chances of finding him? Is there any way of luring him out into the open? i've climbed the tree several times but cannot find my poor guy =( god i miss him . . .

How long has it been? Try finding someone with a female veiled and putting her in a cage outside. That usually brings all the boys back home :)

edit: also, it's often easier to spot them at night with a flashlight. So if the lady trick doesn't work then climb the tree at night and bring a light.

stay positive -she will come home

Keep us posted, let us know when she is home safely. I know just how you feel, sort of. I put mine in a tree one afternoon a few months back and he climbed hirer than I expected -we were lucky -you will be too. Just stay calm. Maybe you can rent a cherry picker from a local Home Depot???:confused:

I'm in Howell, and i'm probably the only chameleon owner in howell so the female suggestions are out, though thank you. There's one problem, this Willow is neighbored by probably a row of 4 trees, so he can be in any of them . . . i'm just hoping he's still in the willow

Also, he escaped saturday, and now it's wednesday . . . every day i've spent up in that tree looking or with binoculars, i even placed a little cage of adult crickets up there and ductaped it to the tree hoping he'll sense the vibrations of the chirping and come down . . . lately (since it hasnt rained these past days) i've been watering the bottom of the willow hoping he'll come down for a drink, but still nothing . . . i hope he's still in that tree, and not in another

Find a female! Drive an hour or two if you have to. Also, take a hose and spray the tree (not forcefully) so he has water to drink. He might climb down to have a drink and you can get him.

id climb that tree and have a gud search and double evan triple check where uve looked before looking sum where else in the tree.
i cant find my chams in there cages somtimes cudnt imagin in a giant tree
gud luck hope you find him
have a look in other trees around the willow tree if there is any

Have you let your neighbors know to be on the lookout? They might even let you have access to their yards so you can widen the search.

yea, i know 2 nights ago we had some heavy winds, i don't think for a second he would have fallen out, but i'm thinking since a willow has thin, hanging branches with leaves on them, he would have moved to the more rigid neighboring tree which is all a problem becanse NONE of the tree's are mine . . . i have had a lot of support from my neighbors who i've seen outside with binoculars looking, but i just havn't the slightest clue where he could be after 4 days of travel

Since it's been so long, a female would be your best bet. Also try the night time thing. He could have left already (or worse! :()

id climb that tree and have a gud search and double evan triple check where uve looked before looking sum where else in the tree.
i cant find my chams in there cages somtimes cudnt imagin in a giant tree
gud luck hope you find him
have a look in other trees around the willow tree if there is any

yea i know it just blows because i have the thought that i've probably looked right at him a dozen times by now, just havn't SEEN him because he blends in so well . . . i've had both my brothers and my friend searching the tree with me, its just it's such a big tree and there's been no sightings since saturday

Since it's been so long, a female would be your best bet. Also try the night time thing. He could have left already (or worse! :()

the only thing about the nighttime idea is a flashlight would arise shadows, which would make it harder would it not? mistaken shadows for possible body-shape? and i honestly have NO idea who would own a chameleon besides myself, i KNOW i'm the only one with one in my highschool

I lost my female Veild in a cottonwood tree, once. I stood way back with a pair of Binoculars and searched the tree I figured she got into. Sure enough I found her there, WAY UP HIGH. Luckily she was a ravonous hand feeder so I got my Tallest Ladder and stood atop with a large Cricket, She actually came down to me to eat and walked right onto my hand.
Also if not found, night will work with good flashlight and binoculars, as they tend to like to sleep in more open areas within the tree & are usually resting colors and easier to spot curled up. GOOD LUCK!

And Yes They are easier to find at night with a good flashlight. they sortof glow and stand out from the foilage. also try a regular bulb one & the newer LED flashlight that may even make it stand out more.

Last edited:
I lost my female Veild in a cottonwood tree, once. I stood way back with a pair of Binoculars and searched the tree I figured she got into. Sure enough I found her there, WAY UP HIGH. Luckily she was a ravonous hand feeder so I got my Tallest Ladder and stood atop with a large Cricket, She actually came down to me to eat and walked right onto my hand.
Also if not found, night will work with good flashlight and binoculars, as they tend to like to sleep in more open areas within the tree & are usually resting colors and easier to spot curled up. GOOD LUCK!

yea he is brighter when he sleeps but he's not big on the hand-feeding ... though he does eat out of a little dish-like saucer and whenever i approach the cage with the saucer, he starts to climb down to eat

At night it's usually easier because they are more brightly colored and don't blend as well. Many like sleeping in open spots as well. I know there are a few owners in NJ. Try posting a new thread titled 'need to borrow female veiled in NJ, lost my male)

Their instinct is to sleep on the end of a branch in the event a predator approaches from behind, they will simply jump and fall to the ground. At night look on the tips of branches.

Their instinct is to sleep on the end of a branch in the event a predator approaches from behind, they will simply jump and fall to the ground. At night look on the tips of branches.

even on the hanging branches of a Willow? the wind causes them to sway alot and the branches are so thin, i would have thought he would be more toward the inside, where the branch is thicker? and on the theory that they will jump to fall to the ground, i KNOW squirrels inhabit the tree, but he is fairly large (you can tell in my picture) so i would think squirrels wouldn't bother with him, but does this mean he would be located more toward the bottom of the willow in preparation of the fall? this is not good, because this means he might not even be in that tree!

Beardeds7587 Lives in Brick NJ which is close to you I think? I don't know if has a veiled or not, I have male and female Panthers -would they help or not? Not sure because they are of the wrong class but if they will help I can drive over today and help.

Back
Top Bottom