My Chameleon is vegetarian.....

Ok and when you saw him trying to eat the others on his own. Was he grabbing at them or just looking or trying to shoot?
Just looking like he wanted to grab.
Ok and when you saw him trying to eat the others on his own. Was he grabbing at them or just looking or trying to shoot?
Just looking like he wanted to eat them. He never screen climbs but he was trying to screen climb to get the crickets.
Screenshot_20230912_195651_Gallery.jpg

1). He has a history of parasitic infections.

2) He hasn’t eaten since August 15th, aside from two crickets and some plants.

3) His last fecal was 7 months prior to this new health issue.

It sounds like you need a new fecal test. The clear January test is no longer relevant if he’s displaying new health issues since then.

He’s getting too weak to eat on his own.

I'm not a big fan of carnivore diet long term. It wasn't made for chameleons specifically and it has animal rather than insect proteins. A few feedings are fine but long term it could cause more problems than it treats (fat soluble vitamin toxicity issues). If you can hand feed him live insects that would be best. If he won't eat and needs force feeding an insect based diet would be better. For my Jackson's I use a ground cricket powder. It's available online, Entomo Farms Cricket powder https://ca.entomofarms.com/products/cricket-powder. Amazon and some supplement/body building places carry it. Mix with room temperature water and your normal supplement powder and syringe feed it into the back of the mouth.

I do not know what may be going on with him. He may have been going for the cricket or he may have been trying to get hotter by the heat bulb.
But like I said at least he has plenty of fat on him so the lack of eating will just use reserves. If everything else is normal and still has a strong grip then maybe he is just on strike.

Without him trying to shoot and seeing what the tongue actually does this is going to be hard thing to know for sure if the tongue function is compromised.

I would try to get a fecal run as well to run out parasites.

I agree totally with @JacksJill about using carnivore diet.

Guess who decided to shoot their tongue? Yes. You win a car and you and you all win cars!!! Last night, I put 5 crickets in Carmelo's enclosure (free range). This morning there were no crickets. He also opened his mouth really wide 2 times, as if to say feed me. So I put 2 juicy hornworms in the worm bin. Before I could put the tongs away, he shot his tongue with precision alignment and grabbed 1 hornworm, then 2 hornworms. I put 5 crickets in the cage and walked away. Ok, so, was that a hunger strike or what? I'm still taking him to the Vet tomorrow for a wellness check-up. His 6 month exam would have been scheduled for October.

This guy had me so worried. He's been clingy. Turning his back all day long to the enclosure door. I don't know what passed him off but he was passed!

I hope it's over.

Guess who decided to shoot their tongue? Yes. You win a car and you and you all win cars!!! Last night, I put 5 crickets in Carmelo's enclosure (free range). This morning there were no crickets. He also opened his mouth really wide 2 times, as if to say feed me. So I put 2 juicy hornworms in the worm bin. Before I could put the tongs away, he shot his tongue with precision alignment and grabbed 1 hornworm, then 2 hornworms. I put 5 crickets in the cage and walked away. Ok, so, was that a hunger strike or what? I'm still taking him to the Vet tomorrow for a wellness check-up. His 6 month exam would have been scheduled for October.

This guy had me so worried. He's been clingy. Turning his back all day long to the enclosure door. I don't know what passed him off but he was passed!

I hope it's over.
I had a feeling there was not a targeting issue. Really happy it wasnt. Veileds can go through phases. And with him being heavy a hunger strike is less risky. This may have started when you first brought in the new baby. Even a glimpse of another chameleon can throw them off.

The first time Beman saw a panther chameleon he turned solid black and would not get off the bottom of the cage for a few hours. He also become very aggressive with me. And it was maybe 5 seconds that he saw him in his eye line.

I had a feeling there was not a targeting issue. Really happy it wasnt. Veileds can go through phases. And with him being heavy a hunger strike is less risky. This may have started when you first brought in the new baby. Even a glimpse of another chameleon can throw them off.

The first time Beman saw a panther chameleon he turned solid black and would not get off the bottom of the cage for a few hours. He also become very aggressive with me. And it was maybe 5 seconds that he saw him in his eye line.
That could be it. He knows there is something next door. Yesterday, he went to the side of the enclosure where Bolt's cage sits, as if he was trying to see what's next door. When I take Carmelo outside, he digs his nails in my hand. I have scabs all over my hand. When I try to put him back in the enclosure he backs up and refuses to go. So you might be right. I think i will take him outside everyday to make him feel like the Boss Cham.

Back
Top Bottom