Some shots from today

Your female hoehnelii is looking good (as is everyone else). She has a little attitude, doesn't she? this clutch was very funny. They all were very testy. Lot of personality.

Chris

Your female hoehnelii is looking good (as is everyone else). She has a little attitude, doesn't she? this clutch was very funny. They all were very testy. Lot of personality.

Chris

An outstanding little cham, I'm very glad I broke down and got her/him from you :D

I have the D90. Its great. As is the D70s. You cant get a much better macro than the Niknon 105 2.8. I will be getting the Sigma 150mm 2.8 soon. Hope to get some photos up of a friends veiled up with it, not that its completely necessary for pictures.

Great looking chams!
Mark

:)All your pics are great. The last is spectacular because of the detail in the water droplet reflection. Hope to see more!

Nice! Your pics are so detailed! I have a Canon Rebel 2000 and I am trying to take some polarized pics of my cham. These should turn out amazing!

Hey there Montium! very nice pictures, but you're gonna learn more. Your lens and camera can do these pictures into "dream come trues" ones. Just study study on your OWN. Thats my advice. To use books and theory and bla bla bla. You should learn the camera on your own and treat it as a human hahaha :D . Gently pat from time to time. no but you know where im getting at?

A guy told you to get some paper towel around your pop-up flash. I wouldnt do this cause getting things too close to the flash could get the flash ***up. And in america everything is so UNFAIRLY cheap. Get a diffuser , or when the time is right get a external flash, you know a horseshoe flash. you just slide on your camera.

Some good flashes : SB-400 / SB-600 / SB-800 / SB-900!
SB-900 is the newest one but its not recommended by its price while its little sister SB-600 can do exaclty the same thing!
SB-600 is my recommendation!

DAVID!

KEEP LEARNING :)

Thanks for the advice :D I'm working a little bit with the manual settings and trying to remember how they all work together lol.

I just took a look at the EXIF data and based on your camera I can make a few suggestions.

First is to bring it up a few stops so you can gain some depth of field in your full body shots. You may have to strengthen the light a bit (either via the flash or area lighting) to get a decent exposure.

I typically shoot in Manual mode, ISO 200, 1/500, F20 and the flash set to 1/4 or 1/2 power. I'll adjust the flash or go up/down a stop or three until whatever I'm trying to get comes out. Then you start to learn which settings work best under which conditions.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll end up with 15k photos (2009 only) to sort through. I'm still trying to find an iPhoto equivalent for the PC. :p

Luis

I definately agree with opening up the aperture if you are trying to sho full body details. Small apertures are good for profile head shots where you want the background out of focus, but not great for anything with need fore detail. When using a micro lens, you really should try to get a small aperture (big number). With as little as (I believe) 8" between your lens and the subject, the apertures at all levels have small depths of feild (distance in focus before blur). Try setting your camera dial (on the top of your camera) to 'A' (aperture priority) mode and bump the number to at least F/13 for good detailed shots. The camera will automatically set everything else and you will get what you want in focus. A tripod really helps you not have to use the flash too. I know plenty of people who swear by paper towels when flash diffusion is necessary and they are in a cringe. Im pretty sure Gary Fong sells a popup flash diffuser, but its $20 min. I would also agree with the SB-600, but if youre new to DSLRs, I owuldnt jump into the flashed until you get the camera down. You can get good pictures without flash. You just have to work at it. And work at it. And work at it. Photography requires alot of skill, a little luck, and alot of patience.

Good luck! I hope I helped a little.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom