So, plant cover..

Dawson

I have posted this in another section of the forums then realized my post would probably do better here, ha!
Hello again! Thanks a bunch for all of the answers I received on my previous post, super helpful. I am, however, still a little iffy about plants and their placement inside of the cage. I would also like to provide all of the info I can on all of the supplies I have (i have yet to purchase a veiled cham)
Repti-Breeze XL cage (2x2x4)
24" T5HO UVB light fixture from reptilebasics as well as a 6% arcadia uvb bulb
Flukers 8.5 inch dome reflector thingy with a 40w incandescent bulb (not warm enough, I do have a 60w but am not sure if that is even enough, plus for some reason I can´t find any other incandescent bulbs that are higher than 60w)
Repti Zoo 10L automatic mister (timer, spray intensity and duration of spray are adjustable)
A temperature gun (as well as horrible stick on ones that dont work and fall of every 30 seconds)
Arcadia supplements (calcium w/o d and w/ d3, as well as another one I can not remember for the life of me, I purchased the full starter pack off of Bill Strands website)
OH also the dragon ledges that took me forever to install but they are totally awesome.
I have also gotten a bunch of plastic bins and made them ventilated (16 quart as well as 6 quart) for bugs that i dont have
OKAY, i think thats all of the non-living supplies I have, might be forgetting one or two things. I still need a hygrometer but one is on the way! Now, for the plants I have. I have one Golden Pothos that is growing super fast, one Dracena Marginata that is hopefully still doing well.. I have washed and transplanted both of these with soil that is super organic and airy. I have also recently purchased a beautiful Wandering Jew as well as a 1.5 foot tall Schefflera that I have yet to wash and transplant.
I also just took a Madrone branch from a park around me, im not sure if its safe for chams or not. There is no sap from what I can tell and I dont plan on keeping the leaves as I am hoping that can be part of a little network of branches or maybe a basking spot. I am also planning on finding willow branches as well as grape ivy branches and hopefully a chunk of dried out wood!
So sorry for all of that information, I figured the more the merrier! Now, I am concerned that the golden pothos and wandering jew will provide enough hiding places for the little dude, and I am concerned that the Scheflerra and Marginata will not be strong enough to support the chameleon or really even cover enough space as well... I would provide pictures but I am still really setting everything up, I am hoping to wrap a couple sides of the cage in a shower curtain to avoid getting water all over the walls, last thing I want is a chameleon to be living next to some mold I have yet to spot. Plants that are safe for chams are for some reason really hard to find around where I live (Near Seattle, WA).
I am the worst at constructing my thoughts into sentences that make sense, so please feel free to ask whatever questions and as many as you want. Thank you so much for reading this!!

I thought I’d just read this lol 😂 Maybe post pics of your plants and we can all see and make suggestions on placement?

I have posted this in another section of the forums then realized my post would probably do better here, ha!
Hello again! Thanks a bunch for all of the answers I received on my previous post, super helpful. I am, however, still a little iffy about plants and their placement inside of the cage. I would also like to provide all of the info I can on all of the supplies I have (i have yet to purchase a veiled cham)
Flukers 8.5 inch dome reflector thingy with a 40w incandescent bulb (not warm enough, I do have a 60w but am not sure if that is even enough, plus for some reason I can´t find any other incandescent bulbs that are higher than 60w)
Repti Zoo 10L automatic mister (timer, spray intensity and duration of spray are adjustable)
A temperature gun (as well as horrible stick on ones that dont work and fall of every 30 seconds)
Arcadia supplements (calcium w/o d and w/ d3, as well as another one I can not remember for the life of me, I purchased the full starter pack off of Bill Strands website)
OH also the dragon ledges that took me forever to install but they are totally awesome.
I have also gotten a bunch of plastic bins and made them ventilated (16 quart as well as 6 quart) for bugs that i dont have
OKAY, i think thats all of the non-living supplies I have, might be forgetting one or two things. I still need a hygrometer but one is on the way! Now, for the plants I have. I have one Golden Pothos that is growing super fast, one Dracena Marginata that is hopefully still doing well.. I have washed and transplanted both of these with soil that is super organic and airy. I have also recently purchased a beautiful Wandering Jew as well as a 1.5 foot tall Schefflera that I have yet to wash and transplant.
I also just took a Madrone branch from a park around me, im not sure if its safe for chams or not. There is no sap from what I can tell and I dont plan on keeping the leaves as I am hoping that can be part of a little network of branches or maybe a basking spot. I am also planning on finding willow branches as well as grape ivy branches and hopefully a chunk of dried out wood!
So sorry for all of that information, I figured the more the merrier! Now, I am concerned that the golden pothos and wandering jew will provide enough hiding places for the little dude, and I am concerned that the Scheflerra and Marginata will not be strong enough to support the chameleon or really even cover enough space as well... I would provide pictures but I am still really setting everything up, I am hoping to wrap a couple sides of the cage in a shower curtain to avoid getting water all over the walls, last thing I want is a chameleon to be living next to some mold I have yet to spot. Plants that are safe for chams are for some reason really hard to find around where I live (Near Seattle, WA).
I am the worst at constructing my thoughts into sentences that make sense, so please feel free to ask whatever questions and as many as you want. Thank you so much for reading this!!
Post pics when you can...

I would use window film rather then the shower curtain it will be cleaner and easier to replace if you need to. Do you know how you need to use your supplements? Like the rotation?

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 8.45.04 AM.png

Post pics when you can...

I would use window film rather then the shower curtain it will be cleaner and easier to replace if you need to. Do you know how you need to use your supplements? Like the rotation?

View attachment 286450
Dracena marginata
Schefflera
Golden pothos
Wandering jew
I havent hung any up or anything- still looking for structural branches and whatnot, however i did just lay a Madrone (or manzanita?) branch in there just to see what it would look like. My bulb that is inside of my dome reflector lamp is 60w as that is the highest incandescent bulb sold locally near me.
Thank you a million

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 134
I thought I’d just read this lol 😂 Maybe post pics of your plants and we can all see and make suggestions on placement?
Still have yet to find structural branches and other branches for climbing/perching

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 113
Here's my karma's new set up. I literally bought 1 of each plant and type of stick/branches that were on the safe list! Plenty of cover and places to explore or hide. He seams to be happy with his new set up.

Attachments

• 20201224_114938.jpg
    20201224_114938.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 136
  • 20201224_114933.jpg
    20201224_114933.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20201224_114920.jpg
    20201224_114920.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 135
Here's my karma's new set up. I literally bought 1 of each plant and type of stick/branches that were on the safe list! Plenty of cover and places to explore or hide. He seams to be happy with his new set up.
Awesome! Thank you so much. Im worried the plants wont spread out enough for covering the little dude, but I suppose they can always nestle right in there.

Yes, incandescent bulbs are really hard to find. (Ca). I did find 8, 75 watt bulbs on web. I bought all that they had.. Many sites will not sell to Ca.

Yes, incandescent bulbs are really hard to find. (Ca). I did find 8, 75 watt bulbs on web. I bought all that they had.. Many sites will not sell to Ca.
Im in washington, so its a little easier than ca. Sucks a ton because buying the reptile brand bulbs are just ridiculous in price!

The only weird thing about the order was that the bulbs were from Hungary! Notice the second pic... " not for sale in US

Attachments

• 16088414644505801974551315519805.jpg
    16088414644505801974551315519805.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 16088414878204628272295371642005.jpg
    16088414878204628272295371642005.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 102
Yeah so you will need many more branches... THis may help you with your set up.

https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/

https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

You will need 1 inch or larger stones on top of all the dirt in the pots to keep a Veiled out of it.
Thank you! For some reason collecting branches has me confused, but really as long as theres no sap dripping out of it or anything it should be okay right? Theres currently a madrone (or manzanita?) tree branch just chilling in there so i get a general idea. I have also collected a lot of grape ivy, willow branches, and maple branches that are currently sitting outside waiting for me to be motivated enough to wash them!

Thank you! For some reason collecting branches has me confused, but really as long as theres no sap dripping out of it or anything it should be okay right? Theres currently a madrone (or manzanita?) tree branch just chilling in there so i get a general idea. I have also collected a lot of grape ivy, willow branches, and maple branches that are currently sitting outside waiting for me to be motivated enough to wash them!
Yeah hun that is correct. Really your wanting to avoid things like pine, cedar, and eucalyptus. Those are the ones that typically can ooze or have an extreme odor to them.

Harder woods are going to hold up better to moisture. So the grape ivy may mold if it is in a constant area of moisture.

Yeah hun that is correct. Really your wanting to avoid things like pine, cedar, and eucalyptus. Those are the ones that typically can ooze or have an extreme odor to them.

Harder woods are going to hold up better to moisture. So the grape ivy may mold if it is in a constant area of moisture.
Thank you! Finally getting around to stripping the bark and thuroughly cleaning the branches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom