So, I wet to inquire about Dubia and ended up getting Lobster Roaches

martyllian

And promptly started doing searches on them. All the sudden I am having buyers remorse. I read that they are stinky, escape easily and will infest my apartment. hmmmmm.. I wasn't going to start a colony yet, but wanted to ask questions for when Norman stops eating like a pig every morning. At that point, crickets will not be economical as I buy them by the 1000.

The Person I bought them from was very knowledgeable and uses them to feed his own menagerie of frogs, geckos, chameleons, and Dragons. He said he has no problem with escapees since he uses teflon paint, and he said only to feed off the wingless ones. I asked about them being too quick and escaping the sniper and he said if I had problems, stick them in the fridge for 10 minutes and it will slow them down.
He convinced me to start a colony early, so that I had enough time for them to establish.

Anyone else have any in depth experience with Lobster roaches? They let me pick them up, and they do not seem to stink. Yet.

I did do a search, but there wasn't much out in forum land about just Lobster Roachies.

I do not have lobsters but I was told to put a layer of vaseline around the top of your tank to keep them from escaping.

*nods* going to use teflon bug stopper paint. I am keeping them warm enough to live, but not warm enough to want to climb too much yet, in a sealed, screen top aquarium. Norman's old home actually. I like them better than crickets so far.

I was avoiding spending 50+ bucks to get 50 dubia shipped.
If I could get Dubia at the local reptile show every month (Wheaton IL, every 1st saturday and 3rd sunday), that would be great.
No one uses Dubia there, They all use cricks or these Lobsters and was directed to the resident Roach connoisseur.

Back
Top Bottom