Snails as a staple feeder?

artgecko

I'm considering using helix snails as one of my 3-4 staple feeders and wanted input on whether this would be a good idea. The other primary feeders I am going to be using will be dubia, superworms, and either silkies or hornworms.

I'd appreciate your feedback on amount of these guys I'd expect to feed at a time and reproductive rate,etc. I will more than likely be getting a juvie veiled and he, along with my pet blue tongue skink, would be the primary animals eating them.

I've seen some for sale on arachnoboards but ive just collected them from my yard. They breed pretty fast once they get going.

Snails are one of my 3 main feeders, and i have had great success and a healthy Jacksons because of it. His main 3 are Crickets, Superworms and snails. He occassionally eats butter worms, horn and silks but is not too fond of them. When he was younger he loved flies. Now he won't touch them.

The key with all 3 of my feeders is gut loading. Make sure their bellies are filled with the good stuff before feedeing them to your cham. All 3 of my feeders get Mustard/Collard greens as a stapple in their diet. The Crickets get bug buffet/cricket crack, collards and a piece of fruit (Blueberries, or apples mainly). My super worms eat Collards, carrots and the occasional orange slice..and i assume they're eating their bran bedding too. And the snails eat Collard/Mustard greens, carrots w/ the occasional Mango. They love cucumber, but it's more of a treat as it isn't as nutritiuos as the dark green leafy veggies.

They breed like rabbits if they have 2 inches of damp soil and kept around 80 degrees. Eggs take about 3 weeks to hatch, and they grow to about the size of a dime in about a month- that's the best time to feed them off. You'll soon be over run with them as your animals won't be about to eat them as fast as they keep coming.

I only give my Jacksons 2-3 per week.

Bush baby- Thanks! I was thinking of ordering some helix snails, if I can find any. We don't have large outdoor snails here, at least that I've ever seen. I have a blue tongue skink too, so I'm sure he would adore getting fresh snails. I used to keep aquatic snails (mystery snails) when I had aquariums and loved them.

I am thinking that I'll feed dubia, superworms, and snails (if I can find them) as staples with silkies / hornworms as treats.

You can try site sponsor snails in the mail, but I saw something about delayed shipping, so you may want to reach out to them.

Back
Top Bottom