Snails as a feeder

O lol I thought they were Chamfood

totally reasonable assumption, and good for you to point out the possible toxicity issue with buttercup, in case others are following my example. All Ranunculus (buttercup) species are poisonous when eaten by cattle and horses, and even touching it can irritate our skin. Drying it apparently resolves the toxicity issue. but Im sure it would be a horrible idea for a chameleon to eat it.
I'm really interested to see if the snails actually like it! Maybe I'll try it with just one snail, in case he/she dies from it.

but ya, for now just pets. Eventually some of the babies will grow up to be doomed in a chameleons mouth, but not for a long while :)

Last edited:
Actually many people love getting rid of snails, i know my dad does. i never knew snails can be fed to chameleons! anyhow we find a lot of snails here in our front yard, my dad gets rid of them because they eat the plants in our garden in just a few hours there is a leaf chopped half ways! so now i will take the advice by breeding them so i can make sure there are no parasites. im still confused is it ok to feed with the shells? i read up there that there was someone who was already feeding snails with the shells..but is it safe?

The shells arent overly thick, on the ones I have. I'm sure smaller snails are fine to feed off, if not done often. Just like a beetle. Im sure there's some danger to scratching the mouth. just like with beetles, roach leg spines, grasshopper legs, etc. I'm going to offer them infrequently, as an enrichment feeder, not as a frequent flyer feeder. I think my frogs might like them too.

Back
Top Bottom