Captive garden snails?

Uri

Avid Member
So uhhh where can I get some? I wanna feed some of my female mosyly uroplatus but I’ve never seen a garden snail in my area and I’m not sure whether aquatic snails are okay I’ve also heard horrible things about snails carrying many parasites and I would rather not risk that which is why I’d like to do captive born if possible

No aquatic snails, parasites are a big issue. Land garden snails can be used but if collected wild they need to be used to breed a second generation raised in a new clean isolation cage from the adults to eliminate any diseases in the population.

Did you see the price. They sell as pets. Can get a pair and breed. The price wouldn't make since to buy as feeder

If you search pet snail there a few sites that sell them all about same price

Did you see the price. They sell as pets. Can get a pair and breed. The price wouldn't make since to buy as feeder
That's what I was planning on doing. I'd just prefer them to start parasite and disease free

If you search pet snail there a few sites that sell them all about same price
I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this maybe it’s just because inverts gross me out so it’s hard for me to imagine how people would want them as pets but I guess it goes the same for snakes and yet j keep them so I guess I can’t judge I’ll definitely get this started as I could use a few snails in some of my females diets and just for variety

I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this maybe it’s just because inverts gross me out so it’s hard for me to imagine how people would want them as pets but I guess it goes the same for snakes and yet j keep them so I guess I can’t judge I’ll definitely get this started as I could use a few snails in some of my females diets and just for variety
I felt the same way, then my feeders turned into a hobby 🤷🏻‍♂️ Snakes are awesome though, I judge people that don’t like them lol. I always thought snails were pretty cool, something about creatures with shells.

With my roaches I could understand… I was completely freaked out at the idea of keeping roaches as feeders and same with super worms, but my curious nature got me to appreciate them over time. I realized most of my disgust just came from the stigma of cockroaches and aside from that they’re definitely one of the more fascinating inverts out there IMO.

That's not the part I was confused about. I was just wondering if you knew if they were parasite/disease free or not
Unless I directly knew the supplier(like a friend), I would just assume the snails could have parasites and start a new colony from them. Rat lungworm is the only one I know of that’s really a concern, and that’s not all that common.

Not that I’d willingly allow it, but my chams have eaten slugs outside and I’ve seen people feed them off on here. Never had or heard of any issues. Of course, people should still breed them out to be on the safe side, who knows what other crap wild snails could be carrying.

The idea is if the parents do then the babies won’t as long as they are raised away from the parents and you can start a breeding colony off of one’s you produced to feed off
Unless I directly knew the supplier(like a friend), I would just assume the snails could have parasites and start a new colony from them. Rat lungworm is the only one I know of that’s really a concern, and that’s not all that common.

Not that I’d willingly allow it, but my chams have eaten slugs outside and I’ve seen people feed them off on here. Never had or heard of any issues. Of course, people should still breed them out to be on the safe side, who knows what other crap wild snails could be carrying.
I was just wondering because I'd rather start with clean snails because I'm paranoid about contaminated feeders.

I was just wondering because I'd rather start with clean snails because I'm paranoid about contaminated feeders.
Yeah, trust me I can relate with the feeling. Especially with snails which seem to carry things easier, but I feel that is a reason to be extra cautious and just breed them out anyway.

That site with the pet snails probably has pretty clean snails since they probably breed them(I’m interested in ordering at some point when I have a Cham again, those little white snails look like nice feeders), but with something like snails I’d probably just treat it like they have parasites/other and separate the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom