Snails arrived!

I do have cuttlebone in there. I will sprinkle with some calcium next time I feed them. 2 inches of soil, yes. I have seen some burrow down in the soil, but didn't see any eggs. I am hoping during next weekends cleaning I will finally see those eggs I want.

How small are the eggs?

They are about the size of bb's and will be in a clump of 50-100, you won't be able to miss them. Be careful whe you search through the soil, its best to preserve the clump. If you aren't careful the clump will fall apart and you will be picking individual eggs out of the soil.

small. Bigger than a grain of sand, smaller than peas.

these are baby snails, amongst sand grains.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is this week's egg yield :) There were 3 separate egg deposits. You can see where I successfully excavated one of them deposits keeping them stuck together. The other two came apart. I think the longer they are buried the more adhered to each other they become. It is good that they are near eachother because they seem to hatch about the same time and then push to the surface as a group.

NX1000

Oh cool! Thanks for posting the picture, really helps when you know what you are looking for. I can't wait to get some eggs.

Oh cool! Looks like I need to go shopping! I love watching them chow down.

This was about 2 minutes after I put it in there.. After 5 minutes it was completely engulfed by babies :)

Papaya is one of the healthier foods they go crazy for... Oddly, they completely ignored the mustard greens I gave them the other day.

You guys are making me want to try these snails out! How much time would you invest in a day on a "medium" sized colony?

You guys are making me want to try these snails out! How much time would you invest in a day on a "medium" sized colony?

They are really easy, I just mist them twice a day and toss some food in once a day. On the weekend I clean out the tank, doesn't take long, and put the snails in a tub with a small amount if water to bathe.

Sandrachameleon has a nice blog on setting them up.

Considering the daily feeding and weekly cleaning, anywhere from 1-2 hours a week of maintenance.

that's a great photo!

Thanks Sandra! I was running late for work but when I saw all their little heads lined up for some papaya I had to go grab my camera and take the pic :)

Today has been an oddly snail-centric day so far... I found this little guy walking from the parking lot into my office :)

IMG_20130801_100548.jpg

Finally!

OMG finally eggs! Took the soil out to air it out and clean the tank and found 2 pockets of eggs. I am so excited!

I was able to get one pile out whole.

eggs.jpg

Here it is still in the soil.

eggs2.jpg

And the snails after their tank was clean.

IMG_2326.jpg

Made a separate tank for the eggs and now I cant wait to see babies crawling around!

Back
Top Bottom