Snails arrived!

Congrats on the eggs!! You are going to want to use a different lid on your tank for the babies. They will get right through that mesh top in the picture.

Congrats on the eggs!! You are going to want to use a different lid on your tank for the babies. They will get right through that mesh top in the picture.

Thanks for the advice. For the baby tank I am using a really large critter keeper. I am hoping the slits in the lid are small enough.

Got a couple decent pics of them mating.

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

Well, now I have a ton of tiny baby snails, and more eggs coming every week. Not sure what I will do about this lol. Gonna need another aquarium soon.....

Thats what I do with my eggs... It is fascinating to watch them slowly transform from pearls to snails over the course of a couple weeks.

How big is your baby aquarium? I originally had a small 2.5 gallon aquarium for my babies, but it quickly became overrun and gross. I now have them in a 10 gallon aquarium and it seems like the right size.

Here is a tip for cleaning the baby snail enclosure: Use a small fan to dry out the container for a couple hours first. They will all attach to the side and start to go into estivation (temporary hibernation) due to the dryness of the air. At this point they are easy to knock off the sides and top of the enclosure en masse. Since they are in estivation they take a while to wake up and begin climbing back up the sides of the tank, plenty of time to wipe down the sides and ceiling. I also put a disposable plastic cup in my tank which they love to hang out on (and poop on). Every couple weeks I throw it away and add a new one, which helps keep the enclosure floor a little cleaner.

Just wait until you feed them off. Besides maybe flies, snails are the most entertaining to watch when fed off (although I also feel the most guilty compared to other feeders). Chams will quickly learn to just go over and bite them off the vine. My ambilobe Malcolm chomped down on the vine and snail all in one big bite yesterday and then licked the crushed snail off the vine. He is kind of a weird cham though.. haha. I wish I would have taken a video... He went from violent to embarrassed to kind of cute in the matter of a few seconds, lol.

Here is a tip for cleaning the baby snail enclosure: Use a small fan to dry out the container for a couple hours first. They will all attach to the side and start to go into estivation (temporary hibernation) due to the dryness of the air. At this point they are easy to knock off the sides and top of the enclosure en masse. Since they are in estivation they take a while to wake up and begin climbing back up the sides of the tank, plenty of time to wipe down the sides and ceiling.

what an excellent suggestion. May I add it (with due credit to you) to my snail blog?

If you go to the Niles bio website in the snail area it tells you what permit you need. it was really easy to get, I did it online.

Did you have to go to an office in your state and show your ID to get the permit? I just signed up for the level 2 and am reading I'll need to make an appointment to a office to show proof of identity. $12 for 18 snails is a steal! & the shipping would only be $10. That's $22 for 18 snails!!! And my 2 haven't had any babies yet. Would like to get more.

And how long did it take to be able to log into your online account? I just made an account and when I try to log in it says invalid password.. :\ Do they send you a confirmation email that starts your account up or should I have been able to log in automatically?

Great picture of all those eggs on the side of the tank! Do snails mate during the winter? Or do they only mate during spring & summer time?

Back
Top Bottom