Snails arrived!

It would be a good idea to check these for parasites if you use them often.

Just grind a few up in a blender and use a diy fecal float kit (for $17 they throw in a cheap microscope).

Some ppl check all their feeders periodicly (I never have!! :eek: ).

I guess when you breed them, the babies would be safe, if the eggs were
removed before they could get contaminated :confused:

They eat them like crazy in the wild. I recently read a story about how the Jackson chameleons in Hawaii are eating so many snails that people fear they are driving some species to the brink of extinction.

Wow! thanks, I did not know that. Very interesting.

Personaly, I like my snails cooked, and I leave the shell on my plate ;) :rolleyes:

It would be a good idea to check these for parasites if you use them often.

Just grind a few up in a blender and use a diy fecal float kit (for $17 they throw in a cheap microscope).

Some ppl check all their feeders periodicly (I never have!! :eek: ).

I guess when you breed them, the babies would be safe, if the eggs were
removed before they could get contaminated :confused:

I'm actually researching microscopes now, I want to do all of my own testing. But yeah, I'm just breeding these and will separate the eggs so that I can feed off the offspring, I'm not going to chance feeding off the wild caught.

Here is one trying to escape while I put food in and mist.

snail today.jpg

I'm actually researching microscopes now, I want to do all of my own testing. But yeah, I'm just breeding these and will separate the eggs so that I can feed off the offspring, I'm not going to chance feeding off the wild caught.

Cool, if you do get one, I recommend having a pc hookup using a usb cable and you can load the pics onto your harddrive so you can email it to your vet.

Mine doesn't even have a camera mount!! :( but it is a pro quality scope.

I saw two of them mating yesterday, it was interesting. I will try to get pictures or a video next time.

That's awesome! I can't wait to see how they do! I still need to go to a service center to get an LRA to activate my level 2 access to apply for the permit. It's a bit of a drive but I will soon! =| Can't wait for pics! Make those babies snails! :D

That's awesome! I can't wait to see how they do! I still need to go to a service center to get an LRA to activate my level 2 access to apply for the permit. It's a bit of a drive but I will soon! =| Can't wait for pics! Make those babies snails! :D

Haha, yeah the level 2 access! Makes it sound like something top secret. I literally walked in and they looked at my driver license for 30 seconds and that was it.

I posted this in another thread, so you may have seen it already, but here is a pic of my little Samuel L Jackson (Sammy) going after a baby snail :D

photo.jpg

So cute! I can't wait to have baby snails.

They are the only insects I feel bad about feeding off...

I fed two big babies (about half the size of an adult) to my Nosy Be today... It is so funny to watch his reaction to them. He is a very picky eater, does not hand feed, and usually will only eat when I am out of sight. However, when he see me with a snail in my hand, he tries to bite it before I can even put the snail down!

Man, they just LOVE cucumber. I put a variety of veggies in there and they just tear up the cumber. They will leave some of the other stuff, but wow, cucumber....its the first to go and never a drop left!

Gave them their first bath today while I cleaned the tank. They were so active after their bath, then chowed down on greens and cucumber........still didn't find any eggs yet.......I'm so impatient!

image.jpg

They definitely love cucumber! Romaine lettuce and sweet potato illicit a similar reaction too...

It will probably take a couple weeks for them to settle in and get comfortable before laying eggs. If you have seen the breeding, have 2" of soil for laying, and are consuming food and calcium, it is inevitable. Do they have access to egg shells or cuttlebone? I also put a good amount of plain calcium on the veggies once or twice a week.

I am due to clean my tank today. I have seen them burrowing in the soil all week, so I am expecting a lot of eggs this week.

They definitely love cucumber! Romaine lettuce and sweet potato illicit a similar reaction too...

It will probably take a couple weeks for them to settle in and get comfortable before laying eggs. If you have seen the breeding, have 2" of soil for laying, and are consuming food and calcium, it is inevitable. Do they have access to egg shells or cuttlebone? I also put a good amount of plain calcium on the veggies once or twice a week.

I am due to clean my tank today. I have seen them burrowing in the soil all week, so I am expecting a lot of eggs this week.

I do have cuttlebone in there. I will sprinkle with some calcium next time I feed them. 2 inches of soil, yes. I have seen some burrow down in the soil, but didn't see any eggs. I am hoping during next weekends cleaning I will finally see those eggs I want.

How small are the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom