Snails arrived!

pigglett79

Avid Member
My snails came in today! I am very excited to start this breeding project. They are super cool.

IMG_20130717_180701.jpg

IMG_20130717_180543.jpg

Can't wait until they make some babies for my boys to eat.

Awesome! Your tank looks great.

The hardest part is finding a balance between wet and dry. You want to keep it moist because if it is too dry they seal themselves off in temporary hibernation (called estivation) and not do much of anything. If it is too moist mold will start to grow and you will have gnats and nematodes. The balance I have found best is to mist them twice a day where the sticks, rocks, and leaf litter dries out in between. Then I do a full cleaning on the weekend where I move the snails to another tank (empty with only an 1/8" of water for them to bathe in), wash all rocks and sticks with hot hot water, and dry out the soil with a fan after removing the eggs to the baby tank. Every month I scrub the adults with an old toothbrush as they get pretty dirty from the slime buildup (they crawl all over each other all the time).

It takes quite a bit of work, but not the daily maintenance you are used to with your silkworms. They are fascinating creatures... They are all hermaphrodites and their mating is bizarre. They have their sexual parts on the right side of their head and they shoot brutal looking "love darts" into each other sometimes as part of the mating ritual.

Awesome! Your tank looks great.

The hardest part is finding a balance between wet and dry. You want to keep it moist because if it is too dry they seal themselves off in temporary hibernation (called estivation) and not do much of anything. If it is too moist mold will start to grow and you will have gnats and nematodes. The balance I have found best is to mist them twice a day where the sticks, rocks, and leaf litter dries out in between. Then I do a full cleaning on the weekend where I move the snails to another tank (empty with only an 1/8" of water for them to bathe in), wash all rocks and sticks with hot hot water, and dry out the soil with a fan after removing the eggs to the baby tank. Every month I scrub the adults with an old toothbrush as they get pretty dirty from the slime buildup (they crawl all over each other all the time).

It takes quite a bit of work, but not the daily maintenance you are used to with your silkworms. They are fascinating creatures... They are all hermaphrodites and their mating is bizarre. They have their sexual parts on the right side of their head and they shoot brutal looking "love darts" into each other sometimes as part of the mating ritual.

Thank you for all the awesome tips. I really hope I see this crazy mating situation, that sounds interesting. I am really excited to start a new project.

Clark,

I got the snails at http://www.nilesbio.com/subcat340.html you will need to get a permit from USDA if you live outside of California.

Did you just apply for a permit through the Regulated Organism and Soil Permits area of the site? PPQ Permits?

Last edited:
If you go to the Niles bio website in the snail area it tells you what permit you need. it was really easy to get, I did it online.

Awesome! Thanks so much! I love having these little breeding projects too! It's great being able to offer such a variety and not having to buy so many feeders. :D I have found your blogs very helpful! I am working with my silks right now thanks to you! I just got horn eggs in. Hopefully those will be a success as well! :D

Awesome! Thanks so much! I love having these little breeding projects too! It's great being able to offer such a variety and not having to buy so many feeders. :D I have found your blogs very helpful! I am working with my silks right now thanks to you! I just got horn eggs in. Hopefully those will be a success as well! :D

Awesome. Let me know if you have any questions. I think I am going nuts with all of my breeding projects. Right now I am doing silks, horns, isopods, roaches and snails. I still have a bunch of mantids, blue bottle flies, butter worms and crickets hanging around too. My boyfriend is so patient with my crazy bug hobby. Haha :)

It's a sickness! LOL! When you see how much they love it though it makes it all worth it. Plus it's just fun! I just looked over at mine and said snails blah blah USDA permit.. he shakes his head LMAO! The beetles from the meals and supers freak him out! My cham room looks like part science lab! Haha! Thanks again. :D

How can a cham eat snails with those hard shells on them??

I would think that would cause compaction big time!!??

They eat them like crazy in the wild. I recently read a story about how the Jackson chameleons in Hawaii are eating so many snails that people fear they are driving some species to the brink of extinction.

Nice, lucky you. They also have other interesting bugs and things you can check out.

I just checked it out a little more and they have everything :) everything but hornworms :eek: but thats ok. I'm glad I came across this and I think it was deadhd5's thread the other day about the snails. Thanks again guys.

I just checked it out a little more and they have everything :) everything but hornworms :eek: but thats ok. I'm glad I came across this and I think it was deadhd5's thread the other day about the snails. Thanks again guys.

Be sure to ask about which insects are wild caught. I know for sure the snails are wild caught so the isopods and others might be as well. It wouldn't be safe to feed certain wild caught insects.

Back
Top Bottom