Smart Chameleon(s)

NewOwner

Hey, im creating this thread to ask about other peoples chameleons.. here is my 'Story' ..

My chameleon, seems to know the best spot for water... its somewhere in the middle of her ficus, it collects water.. and when she sees me, and wants to come out into the living room (Lots of plants) she goes on that stick, for me to grab her, and she climbs onto my hand.. :) she seems very smart, and its like she knows when she wants out, where to go, where the best drinking spot is, she knows the hiding spots the crickets go to...

She is very cute ;)

Anyways, Was wondering if anyone has any stories about there smart (or not so smart?) chams :) , Id love for you to share them :):p

well, my chameleon knows how to escape very well. he will shimmy the door open if its not closed right. he will climb on the screen, and swing the door open. he will then "jump" onto my bearded dragons cage, and climbs his way onto my desk. id say he's a genius, considering it's alot harder than it sounds. one of his many smart traits. i think they are naturally inquisitive animals, and are obviously fast learners, because he escapes quite often.

:eek::eek::eek:

I really dont know what i would do if i came home one day and looked in my guys cage and he wasent there!!!

I bet the first escape was scary!

My chameleon always gets the mealworm superworm or cricket by the head so they can't bite 'em.

when my veild was still in his baby cage (just transferred in Nov) one day i forgot to latch it so he cracked the cage open, crawled across the stand onto a desk and onto the highest shelf in the room, no clue how he got there....he may have crawled up wires or something :confused: getting him was the hard part since hes a biter

when my veild was still in his baby cage (just transferred in Nov) one day i forgot to latch it so he cracked the cage open, crawled across the stand onto a desk and onto the highest shelf in the room, no clue how he got there....he may have crawled up wires or something :confused: getting him was the hard part since hes a biter
I <3 Gardening gloves.

That's strange. They will normally try to run away and hide before attacking. Maybe you've scared him too much or your hand looks... predator-y.

I've had several of them figure out how to open cage doors....even heavy sliding glass ones.

One male veiled watched the little white piece of plastic that locks the door shut turning as I latched the cage. I just thought he was watching it because it moved. The next day he opened the door. I assumed that it was just by accident...until the next day it was open again...and the day after that!

:eek::eek::eek:

I really dont know what i would do if i came home one day and looked in my guys cage and he wasent there!!!

I bet the first escape was scary!

I came home from class once and found that my beardie was GONE. I was so worried, but we found him in the blankets by our couch. lol Somehow he'd managed to climb/jump out the top of the tank and fall 1.5 feet to the carpet. D: I remember the way he looked at me when I found him, lol.

Not a chameleon story, but this reminded me of it.

when i had my female veiled i was mopping the floor of her enclosure ,i looked up and couldn't find her,sneaky lil madam had sneaked past me climbed over the top of her enclosure and was legging it up the drip pole,funniest part was watching both her eyes dart backwards to see if i'd noticed lol

I came home from class once and found that my beardie was GONE. I was so worried, but we found him in the blankets by our couch. lol Somehow he'd managed to climb/jump out the top of the tank and fall 1.5 feet to the carpet. D: I remember the way he looked at me when I found him, lol.

Not a chameleon story, but this reminded me of it.

My snake got out once, found it curled up along my fish tank with a very fat belly and noticed i had far fewer fish :eek:

My cham also escaped just after first got him (didnt fasten the zip properly on the flex). Had a heart attack but he'd only gone like 3 foot and was right in front of my face the whole time staring at me and rolling his eyes!!

well my red bar wastegate will not poop in his cage but as soon as the door opens he climbs the door takes a few steps and lets it rip:eek: and he is a big pooper hahahahah this is also the same guy that seems to know he has a nabor cause soon as he is done he will climb right over to lagunas cage stand on top and fire up its so funny he just knows he is next store and loves to pic on him hahahahahah:D

Mine got into the kitchen once and found where we keep the crickets. He was shooting at the transparent side of the box when I found him and took him back to the living room "where he belongs". However, it occurred to me while taking him back that we were home all day (4th of July), and that I could maybe see how smart he was by not lowering the lizard gate, but allowing him to go back to the kitchen if he wanted. Within fifteen minutes, he was on top of the cricket cage. To me this indicates that 1) he remembered that he'd found something good; 2) he remembered how to get there; and 3) he headed straight for it with no diversions. (I opened the lid and let him shoot a few, closed it so he wouldn't eat himself sick, and tried to coax him to climb on me and go back home. He flared up, snapped, and made it perfectly clear that he was going to stick around and defend this fabulous resource. He finally let himself be carried back when it was getting dark, after spending two or three hours on the cricket cage.)

Not an escape story, but funny. I have my male separated from the cage next to him with a piece of black foam board. It was a small piece and didn't fit the whole spot but ok for a couple days. Then, one day I spotted Arnie hanging onto his screen (he never does it) peering up into the female's cage. His head was a bobbin away....(he loves the ladies). Well, I took the foam board and slid it down to cover that spot and left the room. When I went in later he had traveled to the top of his cage and was looking down into her cage - yes his head was bobbin. I got another piece of foam board and covered the side of her cage (18" X 24") and felt I had solved the problem. WELL, His cage is 24" wide and yes, he could go into the corner of his cage and see around the foam board. LOL. I got some aquarium background and covered the whole side of his cage so he can't see anything! He really got his share of bobbin that day.

I had a baby ridge tailed monitor escape once, he shot out of his enclosure straight past my hand and lead a merry chase under the lounges, behind the entertainment unit etc (they're fast), anyway , im not fast on my knees and I lost sight of him.
I searched for an hour or so but couldnt find him and thought he was lost.

A while later watching tv, the picture began playing up, going static and clear again and static again etc. You know how annoying that is, so I did what most non tecky guys do, I banged on the telly . Immediately It went clear again. I sat back down and it went static, I grumbled and got up and banged again, it went clear again.

A few minutes later it was doing it again, so I looked behind the unit to check the coaxial cable for the roof arial, There was my awol goanna clinging to the cables at the back of the telly!

Maybe he didnt like the movie? :D

Not an escape story, but funny. I have my male separated from the cage next to him with a piece of black foam board. It was a small piece and didn't fit the whole spot but ok for a couple days. Then, one day I spotted Arnie hanging onto his screen (he never does it) peering up into the female's cage. His head was a bobbin away....(he loves the ladies). Well, I took the foam board and slid it down to cover that spot and left the room. When I went in later he had traveled to the top of his cage and was looking down into her cage - yes his head was bobbin. I got another piece of foam board and covered the side of her cage (18" X 24") and felt I had solved the problem. WELL, His cage is 24" wide and yes, he could go into the corner of his cage and see around the foam board. LOL. I got some aquarium background and covered the whole side of his cage so he can't see anything! He really got his share of bobbin that day.

Hahahahahaha That is a very nice/funny story... haha Cant beleive what us men will do to see woman :p

Lily knows that when she's pooped she gets to come out while I clean up. So now when she poops, she sits by the door and waits... and as soon as I open the door she legs it up my arm! :D It's like she's saying "Hey! It's not nice in here! Let me out and clean it up!" :D Chameleons have such great characters.

Back
Top Bottom