Sleeping...or not?

scs

I'm not sure if my chameleon has sleeping issues.....

Your Chameleon - ambilobe panther, male, about 9 months old, a 3 months in my care
Handling - other than putting him in the cage and taking him out for a vet wellness-visit we haven't handled him yet
Feeding - we feed him crickets and moths (the equivalent of 8-15 large crickets per day); we dust his food; the crickets that we buy from the store are given fruits and vegetables which have a fine coating of calcium dust on them
Supplements - calcium every day, alternating D3 and multivitamin each weekend
Watering - we have a HabaMist and a ReptiRain machine which are on every hour for 15 seconds; the nozzles are directed so that all plant leaves get wet;
Fecal Description - his fecal matter looks fine, brown clumps and white; his fecal tested negative for parasites
History - he came from a breeder that has a lot of chameleons and goes to reptile shows; he has been to one wellness visit and was dubbed healthy; no prior issues

Cage Info:
Cage Type - http://www.bigappleherp.com/Colossal-Corner-Lizard-Cage
Lighting - one large growth lamp for the plants, a ZooMed UVB lamp, and a ceramic heat lamp, the lights are on from 6am-7:30pm
Temperature - mid-80s during the day at the basking spot and it gets closer to room temp as it gets farther away from the basking spot; I have not observed the night temperature but I'm sure it is close to room temperature; we have a sensor hanging by the basking spot which has a display outside the cage
Humidity - we have the regular misting in the cage and an indoor pond around the corner; the humidity is around/above 50%; the temperature sensor (at the basking spot) is also a humidity sensor
Plants - all live: many pothos, and a small (safe, already checked) ficus
Placement - we have an open living space and it is in a corner there; there is a vent in the wall and a little fan (on 4 times a day for 20 minutes) to dry off the substrate on the bottom of the cage (there is a grid over the substrate which is in a pan that the chameleon can't get to); the cage is from 0 to 75% of the height of the room (total height is about 6 feet); there is a large window in his room and there isn't really a wall separating the room from the kitchen which has more windows
Location - we are in Pittsburgh, PA

Problem- I'm concerned about Sebastian's sleeping habits. This didn't start happening all at once, but I'm starting to realize it and think about it more and more. Before his lamps turn off, he goes to his sleeping position but his eyes are still open for a while after the lamps turn off. Even if I creep up to his cage a few hours later he is still awake. In the morning when my dad gets up at 3 or 4 am and makes his coffee in the kitchen Sebastian's eyes are open. He doesn't hide when he goes to his sleeping position, he's usually in plain sight, but could it be that he isn't comfortable? We are thinking of moving his cage to a different room which offers more shelter from kitchen activity but it has a window and and the light from at least 4 huge windows shines into it. Would that be bothersome?
Chameleons are supposed to have 12 hours of daytime, right?
My first chameleon (female veiled) was always asleep when the lights went out, but is that different for males, or for different breeds? Maybe they don't need as much sleep?
Or do you guys think he is really bothered by the kitchen light in the morning and evening? He is completely undisturbed for at least 6 hours each night...We turn off all lights downstairs before going to bed ourselves, but the kitchen light is usually still on a couple hours after his cage lights turn off.

Going to the sleeping spot early is not a problem. As winter gets closer they go to bed earlier and earlier and will sleep longer that 12 hours each night. In the winter they go to bed at dust (5:30 here) but get up around their regular time 8 am. I recommend covering the cage so that your chameleon doesn't get work up so early in the morning.

Thank you!
Changing habits as winter approaches makes sense.

Which do you think would be more bothersome, light through the windows or movement and light in a neighboring room?

His cage is too huge to cover up...

I agree with what jannb said about covering the cage. I've started doing that this week for the same issue. It seemed my Claudia had trouble falling asleep after lights out. I started covering her cage just before the lights went off, and she was asleep in no time and has been fine sleeping ever since. In fact, yesterday, she went down to her sleeping spot and fell asleep about 10 minutes before her lights even went off.

How much disturbance does he get at night with bright lights and activity? You might try adding a lot more foliage so he is more hidden in case he feels vulnverable by all the activity/lights. You can also drape a dark sheet across the front, blocking most light and him being able to see people moving around.

One other thing I forgot to mention: I don't know how chameleon brains work but they have a lot in common with birds (birds being modern-day dinosaurs). I've observed with my birds, one in particular, they can be asleep, completely out of it, but have an eye open. When whales sleep, they only keep one half of their brain asleep at a time, probably so they don't drown.

12 on and 12 off, w/ no night lights. Year round. Problem solved.
(Humor: Merck is now making low dose Ambien for small pets. :D)

Do baby Veiled sleep more then adults? Sputnik is about a month old and goes to his sleepy spot about 3-330 pm daily. I turn off his lights about 6 and turn them on around 6 and he is sleeping straight through I believe. Sometimes I wake up and his worms and crickets are gone from his feeding bowl so he has been known to frolic through out the night.

Back
Top Bottom