Sleeping At The Edge Of The Cage?

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
My female four month old veiled Coda, has been sleeping at the edge of her cage. I know it will take time for her to find “her spot” to sleep, but this is Every.Night. Is my Cham just messing with me?
(Sorry For The Bad Quality:oops: It’s Night Time)

Is there a "nocturnal light" in use ? You dont need / want a nightlight. Temp drops at night are fine and natural. If it's going below ,65 consider a ceramic heat element it adds warmth without light.
Chams like pure dark for sleepy time.

You may want to add some more plants or branches to provide more options normally cage climbing is a way of trying to escape a d can indicate something is wrong or missing

If the enclosure is in a room where lights are on try wrapping the enclosure with a sheet on two or three sides to block off lights from your house without trapping air flow

I just noticed that the light the guy gave me is completely wrong, can y’all send a link to the place you got yours from?

Uhh dont all chams sleep at the edge of the "tree"? I have never had one that slept in the middle of the cage, they always had their sleeping branch.

And as others have said, no lights at night. No uvb or UVA(moon bulbs), no IR bulbs, just black.

I just noticed that the light the guy gave me is completely wrong, can y’all send a link to the place you got yours from?

My cham finds a branch either at the top or near the back edge of his cage. totally normal.

What kind of fixture? T5HO?

Absolutely no light at night. Think about when chams are in the wild. No sun at night means no UVB so why leave the UVB light on at night in the enclosure? Plus, chameleons have a light sensitive area on their heads called a parietal eye. The "Eye" is able to detect light and shadows so any light on at night will throw their sleep schedule off and cause health issues down the road.

Below is the parietal eye of an iguana. The area in particular is the grey scale dead center on the head.

SS2231788.jpg

Basking light to provide heat can be a normal incandescent house bulb (NO LED).

For UVB, repti-Sun 5.0 or arcadia 6% UVB bulbs are what is recommended for a chameleon as young as yours.

Back
Top Bottom