sleep issue

rayman

so, my guy sleeps early sometimes. his light goes off at 11:30 and on at 10:30 i have tried 12 hours and keep adjusting it but he still wakes up early.

i read that they know the sun cycles, mine doesnt since nightime is 4pm here and hes up until 11, just always about an hour off of my lighting. what times do you members with healthy chams set your timers to? i hear 12 and 12 and i hear 14 light 10 dark, etc... i cant get it right and want to change it.

he sees no daylight since its winter and too cold by the windows. i will bring him out in summer but for now what is best? hes in a room where i stay in until about midnight so i dont want his light off at 5pm when the sun goes down.

thanks in advance.

so, my guy sleeps early sometimes. his light goes off at 11:30 and on at 10:30 i have tried 12 hours and keep adjusting it but he still wakes up early.

i read that they know the sun cycles, mine doesnt since nightime is 4pm here and hes up until 11, just always about an hour off of my lighting. what times do you members with healthy chams set your timers to? i hear 12 and 12 and i hear 14 light 10 dark, etc... i cant get it right and want to change it.

he sees no daylight since its winter and too cold by the windows. i will bring him out in summer but for now what is best? hes in a room where i stay in until about midnight so i dont want his light off at 5pm when the sun goes down.

thanks in advance.

Hello,
Chameleons need 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark. My chameleon's lights are programmed to turn on at 8am and turn off at 8pm. I just got him a week ago. They previous breeder told me he was used to going to sleep at 4pm and waking up at 4am. Well my chameleon has been adjusted to his new home and sleeping schedule. Now he falls asleep around 7 or 7:30 and lights go off at 8pm and he wakes up at 8am when the lights go on. Just make sure your chameleon is getting 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark.

What species is he? Have you got your lights on a timer? How long have you kept the same schedule?
There must be some light if he is waking up early. And it is very rare for a cham to stay awake when there is no light.

hmm, maybe try what MCSEB suggested, try the lights on at 8 and off at 8? Mine are on 730-730 and they get their pj's on well before that but do not sleep until lights off and do not wake until lights on.

While your cham does not come in contact with the sunlight, unless you have shades/blinds/heavy curtains that are blocking out all of the outdoor light, your cham knows that is daytime by the increasing ambient light in the room.
Don't expect your cham to ignore room light regardless of the source.

Some people's solution to the problem is to erect a ceiling to floor curtain to block all room light, so their chams can sleep during normal nighttime hours without being disturbed by lights in the room.
The simplest solution is to just move the cham to a room where a more natural day/night cycle will be possible.

Seasonally, the length of daylight changes everywhere on earth. (Yes, even at the equator but it varies by very little there).
Madagascar's days vary from 11 to 13 hours of sunlight.
It would make sense that you can have your cham on 11 hours of night in the summer and 13 in the winter.
If you don't want to bother with changing the timing then 12 hours night/day will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom