skin bubbles on bubba

snipeusa14

Established Member
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
[*]Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
AMBANJA PANTHER CHANELEON MALE, 1.6 YEARS ILD
How long has it been in your care?
A YEAR ABD A FEW MONTHS
[*]Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
ONCE A WEEEK
[*]Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? CRICKETS ,MEAL WORMS What amount?10 A DAY MIXED What is the schedule?MONDAY Wednesday Friday sunday How are you gut-loading your feeders? Reptile store cut loads with various vegetables and fruits

[*]Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? REPASHY ALL IN ONE EVERY FEEDING

[*]Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? AQUA ZAMP How often and how long to you mist? 9AM 30SEC 11AM 25SEC 2PM 20SEC 5PM 10SEC 8PM 10 SEC Do you see your chameleon drinking?YES ALL THE TIME
[*]Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? NO PARASITES CLEAN WHITE URATE
[*]History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
[*]Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
[*]Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?7-9
[*]Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?DIGITAL THERMOMETER
[*]Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 30% -70%How are you creating and maintaining these levels? AQUAZAMP What do you use to measure humidity?DIGITAL THERMOMETER
[*]Plants - Are you using live plants?DRACEA(something like that) If so, what kind?
[*]Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
[*]Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

These spots came out after his shed and Idk what they are they look a little like pimples
Here's a picture of his cage

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353095565357.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353095565357.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 297
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353095604171.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353095604171.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 304
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353095657805.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353095657805.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 270
I can't see them very well from the pictures. If they are raised then rule outs would include abscess, neoplasia , granulomas, trauma.
Abscess would be my first guess. The best thing is to see an experienced reptile veterinarian.

Could be a fungus, burn, abscess, cyst.

i would recommend a vet visit for a culture/biopsy to see what they say.

I haven't had time to take him to the vet, is there any medicine I could rub on his skin without spending 200-400 dollars at the vet?

ry8yhery.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355589987963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355589987963.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 136
I dont believe any topicals will help you.. I could be wrong but i believe these spot to be a result of a virus. The name of the virus has left me right now but what keeps coming to mind starts with a "C", i just cant finish it. Hopefully one of the boards vets can further help you.

I have no idea what this could be. The only virus I could think of that would cause lesions like this in a chameleon would be a poxvirus, and these infections are very uncommon, so your cham would have to have been exposed recently. If I were you, I would shell out the money to visit a vet, because if the lesions are bacterial, your cham is going to start feeling a lot worse very soon. Another option is to PM the vets on the forum: Dr. O and ferritinmyshoes. They will probably be able to give you much better advice than I.

I haven't had time to take him to the vet, is there any medicine I could rub on his skin without spending 200-400 dollars at the vet?

No, without a biopsy noone will be able to tell you what these bumps are and which therapy works. You would probably only waste money in using useless ointments or anything else. You'll better spend the money into an experienced reptile vet who can help. There always needs to be proper diagnosis before treatment.

The only virus I could think of that would cause lesions like this in a chameleon would be a poxvirus, and these infections are very uncommon,

Over here, we have a couple of Papilloma virus like infections in chameleons looking very similar. Some people tend to call them "chameleon pox" or "reptile pox" although they're definitely not made of Poxviridae. I'd need to search the results of the virology examinations...

Don't know what that could be, hope the vet can get it figured out and get him on he mend, let us know what happens please.

Alexl...why do you say they can not be poxviridae?
Could be CANV or a number of other things. If its CANV it needs to be treated by a vet with oral antifungal meds. For that matter you should see a vet to determine what it is anyhow.

Last edited:
Alexl...why do you say they can not be poxviridae?

The "reptile pox" called infections we got over here are "misunderstood" ones, cause they're mostly made of Papillomaviridae, not Poxviridae. "Reptile pox" aren't that seldom, but they're in fact no "pox" infection. That's what I wanted to note. In my opinion the chance to find poxviridae in chameleons seems so be rather low, although it isn't impossible of cause. But as long as the lesions in this chameleon here aren't examined properly, noone will be able to tell safely whether viruses, fungus, tumors... play a role in this case.

I can recommend if you want Dr. Rupp at Extra Care Animal Hospital. I take mines there.
Good Prices!!!

Extra Care Animal Hospital
950 S Flamingo Rd
Davie, FL 33325
954-370-0203

Very good knowledge on Chams.

Well I just got the work from the vet,he's seen my other chameleons aswell and they are in great health. Anyways he says the bumps on his skin are dead skin cells,he scraped off a tiny sample to look under the microscope and he didn't see and fungus or harmful bacteria.

He's sending me hope with an antibiotic and hopefully he gets better :):):):):):):)

You must have felt such relief to hear it's just dead skin cells!

I'm a little confused, though--if the bumps are just dead skin cells, why did the vet prescribe an antibiotic for your cham? Did he think he's not shedding properly due to a bacterial infection? Or was there something else?

This has been a really good thread for my preparation to become a chameleon owner; your pics are great, because it really helps to see the issues that can arise! Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us. I know you were wanting people who have a wide variety of experiences to help you, but you're also helping those of us who really lack experience. That's why I'm asking questions, so please don't think I'm critiquing anything.

Thanks for any information you are able to share!

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom