Size matters....but too big?

ChaBillion

(no this isn't an Extenze infomercial) lol. :eek:

Hi, I was wondering if a 24" x 24" x 48" mesh cage is too large for a 3 month old Panther Chameleon. I plan to have this cage in my garden for the better part of the day (hopefully all the moist greenery will enhance the humidity) and it will be partially shaded, and in terms of internal foliage it will contain a fairly large Gold Capella Schefflera and a Ficus Alii. I know a large cage for a small chameleon will have its pros and cons but any pointers, warnings, tips?

The more space the better! he will grow into it. As far as cup feeding though make sure you put one in for him to ensure he gets his food.

It depends on the animal. Some will be strong enough hunters that they wont have much trouble finding food, but others have difficulty trying to find enough food to eat. I suggest either tub feeding or sectioning off the cage so that he only has access to 1/2 - 3/4 of it to make sure he can handle hunting and feeding.

Also, some babies wont take to cup feeding so be sure to try a shoe box sized tub as well or a milk carton feeder with screen. I prefer the last two methods because the animals can still hunt but the feeders are contained and you can make sure they are eating well.

Back
Top Bottom