Sitting Still

Chamlo

On occasion, my cham sits still but is awake and alert. He doesn't move for hours. Once after I took him out of his cage for a long time, he seemed extremely afraid when I put him back in his cage. He calmed down and found an perch in the middle of the cage. He sat there for almost 2 days! Rarely, like once a month, he finds a perch and sits there almost all day. It has really only happened since the days started getting shorter. He also finds a sleeping perch at least 2 hours or more before bed time at 7:00, but he doesn't sleep until his light is out. I think this is because there is no day light coming in through the window and the rest of the room is dark, like in summer when I close the blinds. I think over time he began to associate the room getting dark with it being bed time. Anyone and else have this or have thoughts on this?

Not sure if this helps

On occasion, my cham sits still but is awake and alert. He doesn't move for hours. Once after I took him out of his cage for a long time, he seemed extremely afraid when I put him back in his cage. He calmed down and found an perch in the middle of the cage. He sat there for almost 2 days! Rarely, like once a month, he finds a perch and sits there almost all day. It has really only happened since the days started getting shorter. He also finds a sleeping perch at least 2 hours or more before bed time at 7:00, but he doesn't sleep until his light is out. I think this is because there is no day light coming in through the window and the rest of the room is dark, like in summer when I close the blinds. I think over time he began to associate the room getting dark with it being bed time. Anyone and else have this or have thoughts on this?[/QUOTE

My panther will sit on her sleeping perch hours before the light goes out regularly, regardless of lighting from the window. I heard this discussed before and it was noted to be normal.

The multi day instance I have personally not experienced.

On occasion, my cham sits still but is awake and alert. He doesn't move for hours. Once after I took him out of his cage for a long time, he seemed extremely afraid when I put him back in his cage. He calmed down and found an perch in the middle of the cage. He sat there for almost 2 days! Rarely, like once a month, he finds a perch and sits there almost all day. It has really only happened since the days started getting shorter. He also finds a sleeping perch at least 2 hours or more before bed time at 7:00, but he doesn't sleep until his light is out. I think this is because there is no day light coming in through the window and the rest of the room is dark, like in summer when I close the blinds. I think over time he began to associate the room getting dark with it being bed time. Anyone and else have this or have thoughts on this?

I have, and am currently, experiencing this very thing. After weeks of observation and a vet visit, I chalk it up to the change in seasons and a slowing of the metabolism.

The one thing I would make sure of however is that you know that he is drinking, and depending on age (you didnt mention it) you keep an eye on feeding.

In may case, he does drink daily but may only eat 2x a week and not much. In my case I check weights on a regular basis so I know he is not losing weight and again, he got a clean bill of health from the vet, so no worries.

To be clear, they do remain fully awake and alert during this time. No sleeping with lights on, eyes closed, or anything else that may seem suspiciously be a specific health issue.

My panther will sit on her sleeping perch hours before the light goes out regularly, regardless of lighting from the window. I heard this discussed before and it was noted to be normal.

The multi day instance I have personally not experienced.

The multi day experience only happened only once. Good to know that it is mostly normal.

I have, and am currently, experiencing this very thing. After weeks of observation and a vet visit, I chalk it up to the change in seasons and a slowing of the metabolism.

The one thing I would make sure of however is that you know that he is drinking, and depending on age (you didnt mention it) you keep an eye on feeding.

In may case, he does drink daily but may only eat 2x a week and not much. In my case I check weights on a regular basis so I know he is not losing weight and again, he got a clean bill of health from the vet, so no worries.

To be clear, they do remain fully awake and alert during this time. No sleeping with lights on, eyes closed, or anything else that may seem suspiciously be a specific health issue.

He is almost 2 years old. I have not weighed him in a while because I don't own a gram scale. I agree with slower metabolism. He eats regularly but only poops about once a week. I rarely see him drink so I usually spray him for long periods and also give him lettuce. His urates after sitting in him for a week are only a little yellow, which I'm told is normal. On occasion though, as it gets later his awareness seems to slows. I try to measure this by seeing if he tracks my hand with his eyes. He seems to look but not move his eyes when I move my hand for a delayed period. He seems to look more at my face. Sleepiness?

Back
Top Bottom