Silkworms vs. Hornworms

HiroProtagonist

Is there a huge nutritional difference between silkworms and hornworms? They look almost identical except for color (from the silkworm pictures I've seen). The reason I ask is because I feed my jackson's chameleon hornworms and he loves them...problem is that they stick to the branches so much my cham seems to strain his tongue sometimes trying to pull them off. I'm hoping silkworms don't stick as much...anyone know?

Is there a huge nutritional difference between silkworms and hornworms? They look almost identical except for color (from the silkworm pictures I've seen). The reason I ask is because I feed my jackson's chameleon hornworms and he loves them...problem is that they stick to the branches so much my cham seems to strain his tongue sometimes trying to pull them off. I'm hoping silkworms don't stick as much...anyone know?

I know silkworms don't hold on near as good as hornworms do. Those hornworms sure can stick!

I had to smile when I read this because they really don't look anything alike, but I have been rearing Lepidoptera (the order that contains moths and butterflies) for nearly 10 years and see the most obvious to the most subtle differences. Frankly, I see these as pretty obvious in these two, but you will too, in time ;)

Although they are both the larval (caterpillar) stage of a moth (the silkworm of a silk moth and the hornworm of a hawk or sphinx moth) they are from two different families, genus & species. :confused: I won't bore you with details unless you really want to know - or you can read my articles on rearing them here: Silkworms & here: Hornworms, which will give you all the name stuff, too

As for your question, how nutritious are they?

Hornworms are very high in protein (approximately 58%), but also high in fat, therefore, you would not want to feed a steady diet of these to your chameleon. Silkworms are high in calcium and lower in fat than hornworms and ideally could be a staple diet for chameleons , but many chams are known to tire of silkies even though they seem to relish them in the beginning. Both my chams and my beardie have done this. They can also eat the moths of both.

hope this helps!

lele

Back
Top Bottom