Silkworm vs crickets

ryanra22

So I've got a 3.5 month old male ambilobe panther (only had him 3 days) and I've been feeding him primarily crickets and silkworms.

My question is would 5 silkworms be similar to eating 5 crickets? I know this probably depends on size but the silkworms are anywhere from 3/8 to 1/2 inch and same with the crickets. I noticed the first day he didn't each much at all about 2 small supers and 4 crickets.

Day 2 he ate a silkie and 4 crickets. So today I decided to offer strictly silkworms and put 6 in his cage. I saw him snatch one pretty quickly but then havent noticed him eat any of the others. So would a couple bigger silkworms suffice for the day? I'm kind of the mindset that if he's hungry he'll eat more but I don't wanna be screwing up too badly with his food this early in the game.

Thanks!

Silk worms, Butter worms, and Wax worms are very fatty and shouldnt be used as a regular feeder. But to answer your question I think silkies, depending on the size, have a little more meat on them then the crickets. So maybe 5 silkies can be the same as 4-6 crickets.

Silk worms, Butter worms, and Wax worms are very fatty and shouldnt be used as a regular feeder. But to answer your question I think silkies, depending on the size, have a little more meat on them then the crickets. So maybe 5 silkies can be the same as 4-6 crickets.

silks are not fatty! They have about 6 grams of fat which is the same as a cricket! they can be fed regularly. Butterworms and waxworms are fatty. here is some info for you about silks http://www.silkwormshop.com/benefits.html

Last edited:
silks are not fatty! They have about 6 grams of fat which is the same as a cricket! they can be fed regularly. Butterworms and waxworms are fatty.

Thanks carol! I was gonna say wait a minute I've read Sandra's blog multiple times and I'm pretty sure Silkies are great!

Cool website thanks for the info carol!

Variety is key, but i feed my panther crickets and silkworms. Hornworms when he feels like gulping them down

Back
Top Bottom