Silkworm Success/Excess

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
Recently I switched egg suppliers to @snitz427 . I used to get 1,000 or so eggs from Mulberry Farms and I'd end up with about 1-200 mature worms. Well, I did the same with her eggs and now I have probably 800 worms! While it's nice to have great success, I don't need that many moths and the worms are going through a pound of food a week! I'll never be able to go through this many worms before they start to cocoon. If anyone needs some worms send me a message. I'm not interested in selling worms full time... but I'd rather not feed them to death.

15793650388754894490008334615082.jpg

15793657912956383214178995187737.jpg

I have all sizes, plenty of eggs, food [I bought in bulk], and I also have the big deli cups. I was going to post this in the classifieds [and it may end up moved] but I'm not so much selling the worms as looking to help folks out and get a few bucks out of it to buy more worm food. That said, pricing depends on quantity, how much food you'll need, and shipping - but I'm not looking to make money.

If anyone is interested, let me know!

While I’ve only got about 150-200 silkworms growing/eating, I made the same error in judgment and have too many. It’s so hard to count those tiny eggs. Hoping I can get the leopard geckos to eat some.
I wonder if local reptile rescues would take donations of our extra silkies. :unsure:

I’ve been feeding them off as snacks because I’m in the same predicament lol. But mine are not growing super fast so I might get lucky and hopefully end up with less than 100 :hilarious:

I’ve been feeding them off as snacks because I’m in the same predicament lol. But mine are not growing super fast so I might get lucky and hopefully end up with less than 100 :hilarious:
I feed them off starting about 1/2 inch or so. My beardie is a freak for them, she'll literally do jumps and flips! My bird however will not eat them...

I've found that to grow them quick, put them in small groups with plenty of space and food. That's the mistake I made. I broke them apart too soon and ended up with tons of worms!!

I also feed them off when theyre smaller, because I can give them several at a time, or as an in-between snack. My problem is my 6 eat them like m&ms so they never make it to the large size!

I made the same mistake with hatching 1k plus at one point and that was a lot of work! That was before I had my own line going and could take out small batches from the fridge every week.

I also feed them off when theyre smaller, because I can give them several at a time, or as an in-between snack. My problem is my 6 eat them like m&ms so they never make it to the large size!

I made the same mistake with hatching 1k plus at one point and that was a lot of work! That was before I had my own line going and could take out small batches from the fridge every week.
I'm just used to high die off... which yours just didn't do. They even did fine, thrived even, when I moved the past week or so. Of course I kept up feeding them and such, but the temps were a good 10 degrees cooler or so seeing as they spent time in the house after I moved my chams. Even now I'm still only about 60% "moved" as far as the chams are concerned. Luckily, they now have their own "Florida room" which enables me to get almost perfect conditions [at least for this past week] by simply opening the windows.

Now its getting cold monday, down into the 40s.... going to need to set up the space heater! I can't wait to get everything set up... such big plans.

Back to the issue at hand however, if you haven't yet sent me a message, do so! I'll be shipping out some worms to folk on monday.

I'd love to buy some off of you. Its freezing cold up her in Pennsylvania right now. Do you have heat packs? I don't think they would survive the trip without one.

I'd love to buy some off of you. Its freezing cold up her in Pennsylvania right now. Do you have heat packs? I don't think they would survive the trip without one.
I'm actually about to go out and find heat packs. I have worms going to some cold places!

Anyone else want worms while I'm shipping out? Got about 2-300 left of varying sizes to spare!

15795537233541859886641972378474.jpg

Back
Top Bottom