Silkworm Success/Excess

Careful with heatpacks - I cooked a shipment! I think either a larger box would help regulate the heat or putting the heatpack at the top where heat can radiate out of the box.
Layer of cardboard, then heat pack on the top is the idea. I'm also using the larger delicups and gutterguard to help them regulate. I actually slathered food into the gutter guard to secure everything. I used a test batch and a box and they seemed pretty secure. Now to track down heat packs in Florida... lol!

Thanks for the tips!!

I think my issue was I used a SMALL insulated box with the heatpack INSIDE and it was way too efficient :). i stopped shipping this winter until i can get a system down
Yea. I thought about insulting the box but that'll trap too much heat. A few balls of newspaper to fill the voids will go far. Paper towels actually will increase the "insulation" factor a few degrees over newspaper, but block more airflow.

To those who wanted worms and still want worms:

Apparently heat packs are not a thing in retail shops in Florida... I guess no one ships to cold places? Anyway, I ordered some heat packs online and so far so good. I'll be testing a few for peak temps and longevity, mostly out of curiosity. That said, if you live in a cold climate I'll be shipping out Monday. Anyone else who may be interested feel free to drop a message, I should still have plenty.

Thanks for the patience!

Quick question is it black or zebras that are more hardy? I’m ordering eggs and want to make sure I buy the right once

Back
Top Bottom