Silkworm Pod experiences? (And Feeder-keeping in an apartment.)

Galaxy

So I'm looking to add some variety into Osiris' diet, but living in an apartment sort of keeps any "farming" to a minimum. We keep a weekly supply of crickets in a critter keeper which stays in our rarely-used extra bathtub (prevents escapees!) and that's about it.

I'm looking for information and experiences on the Silkworm Pod from Coastal Silkworms. From the sound of it, it seems appropriate for someone just wanting small amounts on short-term time frames. (I know it's more expensive, but we'd rather pay for shipping in feeders than having someone from the apartments stumble on a bug-breeding setup. I imagine they wouldn't look too kindly on that...)

I'd also like to know if anyone else has space-limited experience on other feeders such as Dubias. My husband was interested in getting them for our Blue Tongue Skink originally, but only seemed focused on breeding and raising them, and then bailed on the idea when he read that cleaning the enclosures put off an unhealthy powder so you had to do all the cleaning outside (Not an easy option for us either...) as well as realizing we would still have a space issue.

So, any other "cozy" chameleon keepers out there?

Subscribing to this thread. Would also love more information on this!

On a side note I did see someone raising a dubia colony in a normal size plastic storage container. My issue is that I'm sure the apartment complex would freak knowing I'm raising roaches!

I'd also like to know if anyone else has space-limited experience on other feeders such as Dubias. My husband was interested in getting them for our Blue Tongue Skink originally, but only seemed focused on breeding and raising them, and then bailed on the idea when he read that cleaning the enclosures put off an unhealthy powder so you had to do all the cleaning outside (Not an easy option for us either...) as well as realizing we would still have a space issue.

I have been breeding roaches, and selling some, for the past 3 years? or so. While I have a lot more then you'd need or want, you can breed some for just your personal use with a single 18gallon sterilite tub or so. Since you'd be feeding and breeding out of the same tub, it wouldn't be as efficient, but you aren't looking for that. They have a 6mo lifecycle (can live 1-2 years), so you will need to give at least 6 months before you start feeding from them. I clean my tubs inside, and it hasn't been too big of an issue. The wife even helps ;) Personally I love the dubia roaches.

Just started with superworms, and they don't seem to take a ton of space, so I am thinking they should be good as well, but don't have a lot of experience yet.

I have been breeding roaches, and selling some, for the past 3 years? or so. While I have a lot more then you'd need or want, you can breed some for just your personal use with a single 18gallon sterilite tub or so. Since you'd be feeding and breeding out of the same tub, it wouldn't be as efficient, but you aren't looking for that. They have a 6mo lifecycle (can live 1-2 years), so you will need to give at least 6 months before you start feeding from them. I clean my tubs inside, and it hasn't been too big of an issue. The wife even helps ;) Personally I love the dubia roaches.

Just started with superworms, and they don't seem to take a ton of space, so I am thinking they should be good as well, but don't have a lot of experience yet.

I may have to talk my husband into revisiting the roaches idea again, though as GTSLOW mentioned, even though the roaches can't live easily outside the colony-container, just the word ROACH would probably raise flags with any apartment staff. :rolleyes: (We're probably already pushing it with the crickets! I smuggle them and all of their supplies away whenever anyone has to do maintenance. :p)
I'd been considering starting to snag a container of superworms from the local petsmart once in a while as a treat, but I'm wary since I'm not sure he's big enough to eat them yet (He's maybe 4 months-ish).

I wouldn't keep the silkworms in the pod long term. I think they do better in an open top shoebox type container. That way, they're more air circulation and less chance for mold. Also, if they have 24 hour access to food, they will grow bigger faster than if you feed them once a day.

So, I went ahead and bought the pod in a "why not" moment.
Not so sure I'd do it again, because while it's nice to have it all kind of compact for just a week or two's worth of worms it seems kinda.... messy...
tumblr_n8ke9r2X4B1s54to4o1_500.jpg

While I know that I'm supposed to remove the frass daily and keep everything involving keeping and handling them sterile and dry, what am I supposed to do about all the silk in there? Leave it? Clean it out somehow? Seems like leaving it would be inviting mold with all the frass it's collecting...

I live in an apartment and i breed roaches. make sure you have a screen top so they don't get out. i also have crickets, superworms, mealworms, and mantids. i don't breed those but iv had no problem yet. i have a lot of reptiles soit is time consuming. takes a lot of work and patience. but i do what i do because i love it. hope this helps. good luck

Back
Top Bottom