Silkworm and Phoenix Worm Question

Porky1961

I just oredered Phoenix Worms and A Silkworm pod from Coastal for my adult veiled chameleon. My hopes are to get away from dealing with crickets as a feeder. I have been told that the Phoenix should not be fed as his only diet because all that they provide is calcium. I was wondering if while I am experimenting with these different foods, If he is eating the Phoenix, do I need to dust the crickets and silkworms with calcium.

Thanks MARK B.

I don't have experience with phoenix worms but have read many articles about them. Phoenix worms are also a problem because sometimes the chameleon will not fully digest them. That means the chameleon didn't absorb all of the nutrients. From what I have read phoenix worms should only be a treat and to maybe better your chances of them being digested you can prick them with a pin before feeding. I would recommend still dusting the crickets with supplements. You shouldn't have to dust the silkworms as long as you are dusting crickets. Silkworms are a great staple feeder on the other hand and are very helpful in hydrating your chameleon. They are very easy to take care of as well. If you do a search on phoenix worms you will come up with many threads about other's experiences. Good luck getting away from crickets. Have you ever thought about dubia roaches?

im trying to get away from crickets too, been trying silkworms for a few days,thinking about planting me a mulberry tree for my silkworms, and gettin superworms as an alternative. good luck i hate crickets too.

I did the exact thing for my female panther. The silk worms are great, she loves them. The phoenix worms are a little to small (good thing I only got the smallest container) in my opinion. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom