Silk Moth Hatchig and Mating

ajs

Avid Member
So I decided to separate some worms (~10-12 maybe) into their own little cocoon setups that i could manage and have noticed at least one cocoon!

What now if I want to try to mate them?

Do I wait a couple more days to ensure good cocoons and take the cocoons out and put them together?

Cocoon setup (and bonus green banana bin):
20200709_204411.jpg

Just put all the cocoons together in a small tote lined with wax paper and when they emerge, they will get right to it. Males flap their wings a lot and females don’t and are plumper. I cover mated pairs with a small paper cup so they aren’t disturbed and the eggs laid are better contained.

They remain in cocoons until they hatch as moths...2 or 3 weeks. You should be able to mate the moths...they only live about a week.. They don't fly or eat. Fertile eggs turn from a pale color to a darker color. If the eggs don't hatch within 3 or so weeks, they wont likely hatch until the next year.

I can't remember how to sex the moths.
The females have larger bodies and smaller wings then the males so they are pretty easy to sex and pair up.
I currently have one lonely male moth right now, he's adorably sad.

Attachments

• IMG_9657.JPG
    IMG_9657.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9683.JPG
    IMG_9683.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9688.JPG
    IMG_9688.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 63
Interesting thread. My original silkworms have turned into moths and are mating and laying eggs. I have 5 moths and about 6 cocoons left. I just put the cocoons in a box and let the moths do their thing. I see eggs in the corner that are white. It is pretty amazing. Good luck with yours.

The females have larger bodies and smaller wings then the males so they are pretty easy to sex and pair up.
I currently have one lonely male moth right now, he's adorably sad.
Aww...poor little lonely guy. I always have more males than females and feel so bad for them, fluttering their wings wanting to mate and no available girls. So I end their lonely frustrated existence by offering them up to my little cham masters. I apologize to them of course and thank them for their sacrifice.

Back
Top Bottom