Silk moth females?

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have not had some form of hybridized silkworms for ages in some way. So this may seem an odd question but my notes were kept on my old thumb drive that kind of... destroyed itself in a wonderful way. Anyway, I am looking for some help and hoping those who have bred some normal either whites or zebras would be able to help?

I have read a lot of blogs and websites that say the females die as soon as they lay eggs and can't mate again and lay again? Is this true? If so my hybrids definitely show some different characteristics there...

Yeah I read that. But it doesn't really explain anything after the females lay, most that do say as soon as they lay they die. My females have laid about 100 eggs and then remate, lay again, I think my two older ones have done it twice to three times each.

So all my females have mated at least 3 times each, all my moths but the first moth who came out are still alive.Which means I think they have been alive for 7 days or so? They don't lay as many eggs in one sitting, but every time they mate they lay eggs, and they are ALWAYS fertile.

I'm so excited that your silkies are doing so well!!! I can't wait till you have a strong colony so you can sell off some eggs!!! :D

Depending on how the larvae do this time around and how many eggs I do get out of these moths (considering I only have around 15 moths) I may be selling worms out of this batch, but a very limited amount.

But I have a few people who have been waiting a while for them so they would get them first.

No worries, your feeders are in high demand because you rock!!! I totally understand having to wait ;)(y)

My female did the same as you. They lay egg and mate again until they died. The second and third of egg that she lay is not fertilize like the first one. Mine is only do twice lay egg and then no more. I hope this is help.

All my female moths just ended up dying off this week... it was weird how long they lasted. After the third laying they haven't been trying to mate at all or lay, so I've just been feeding them off. But all their eggs are gorgeous. Very happy with them.

Mine is last long only a week or 1.5 weeks or so. I think I might want to try those hybrid as well.

It'll be a bit of wait currently. The eggs take longer to hatch than the regular whites or zebras etc.

Back
Top Bottom