Cool pictures of pupating Silk Moths!

Lt.WorfReportingForDuty

Established Member
I just took some photos of my pupating silk moths (the first one hatched yesterday so I cut them open carefully to make sure they aren’t stuck in there). Thought you’d appreciate their little faces!

Attachments

• IMG_8155.jpeg
    IMG_8155.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8157.jpeg
    IMG_8157.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8158.jpeg
    IMG_8158.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
ummm did they not have their little white silk cocoon? Pretty sure this is what helps protect them while they pupate. Normally you would not try to cut them out until they start trying to get out. Right now those are still heavy in the pupation phase. I do not know if they can survive at this stage out of their silk ball. Will be interesting to see though.

I’ve had several that for whatever reasons didn’t have success in making their silk cocoon. I either took the extra ‘scrap’ silk that the silkies had made and wrapped it loosely around the pupae or inserted it in an old empty cocoon if I had one around. I’d say that most of them would go on and become moths. I was very careful with them and placed them in an area with minimal disturbance.

I’ve had several that for whatever reasons didn’t have success in making their silk cocoon. I either took the extra ‘scrap’ silk that the silkies had made and wrapped it loosely around the pupae or inserted it in an old empty cocoon if I had one around. I’d say that most of them would go on and become moths. I was very careful with them and placed them in an area with minimal disturbance.
I’ve experienced the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom