Sign of MBD or typical baby behavior?

20210502_192907.jpg

I'm thinking his branches may just be too small as I do see him using his rear legs however it seems he has some sort of muscular weakness in his rear legs.

UVB and UVA bulbs replaced last month, he gets d3 and calcium daily, I dump calcium and d3 into his mealworms bark and shake it up so when I pull them out they are already coated in his supplements.

I've also now added a liquid syringe multivitamin/supplement to his diet, which I give him 2 drops while giving him water. The supplement is new and I just started yesterday, and would be unrelated to any weakness. Today he seems to be a bit more energetic and his rear legs feel as though they have more strength to them, he's crawling around on my shirt as I type this.

I want your input as you may have more experience in the husbandry of chameleons and may have been able to identify this early on in your own chameleons.

I'm hoping more careful husbandry for this little guy will stave off any symptoms of it. Will continue d3 and calcium with regular watering and A&B bulbs, the bulbs are high wattage and he's in a mesh enclosure, enough ambient heat gets down to his vines for him to comfortably bask, I just wonder if his twigs are getting too small for him or if this is a sign of something more. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210502_192907.jpg
    20210502_192907.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 92
Well it's mixed with his calcium and shaken up together so it's not a ton of d3 he is getting. I just kinda put it all in the container with the mealworms, shake it all up and the mealworms come out dusted. It hasn't seemed to impact my veiled chameleon whatsoever.

Im going to go to the store today and buy new feeder insects and switch to calcium and set a calendar reminder for the d3. Can I ask how often I should give syringe supplements? Is that one you should also do only a couple times a month?

Well, let's start off by getting you on a good supplement routine. I would not give those multivitamins that you have.

You should use calcium with NO d3 at every feeding besides once a week (let's say Sunday). Each Sunday you will alternate between a multivitamin with NO d3 (like reptivite), and a calcium with d3.

I would also hold off on the d3 for a month or 2 to let your buddy get his system cleaned out from the over use.

On both my veiled and panther I'll do this. Thank you for the sound advice on a good routine. Will hold off on the d3 and maybe do the supplement a few times a month once a week for the first couple months then get back to d3 and just continue the calcium, will give d3 a few times a month starting in a couple months.

Can you please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can check your husbandry.
you still sound confused about the supplements.

You said..."Will hold off on the d3 and maybe do the supplement a few times a month once a week for the first couple months then get back to d3 and just continue the calcium, will give d3 a few times a month starting in a couple months"...
The idea is to use a phos free calcium powder dusted lightly in the insects just before you feed them to the insects at all feedings each week except one. One that one feeding each week that you don't sure the phos free calcium powder use the phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly one week and then the vitamin powder the next week and repeat.

However for the next few weeks don't use the powder with the D3 to give the D3 a chance to get out of the chameleon's system.

D3 from supplements and prEformed vitamin A can build up in the system and cause health issues like MBD....so we are careful with them.

Definitely not confused it's pretty straightforward. Thanks though.
I mean this in the nicest way possible, usually when a new member has a mistake like supplements, there are (usually) other problems with their husbandry as well. It would be in the best Interest of your cham if you could fill this out🙂

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom