sickness transmitted from your chameleon

Yes definatly great topic, Ive owned a quite a few reptiles and was always under the impression that salmonella was where the concern lies. Depending on who you talk to ( i talked to some vets) some told me Ive got as much chance of coming in contact with it handling money, as handling my lizard. I figured that there was less chance of a cham being as prone to maintaing salmonella on its skin beacuse of the way it deficates.....and doesnt live on the same level with where the feces fall? i had not looked into Coccidia till now but will reinforce my cleaning regimes!

Ive always used a steamer to clean, Im not sure tho about the cheap models they seem to have everywhere now which pale in comparison to a proper garment steamer like a jiffy. http://www.jiffysteamer.com/Products/index.asp?steamerCatId=2

They are not cheap but are reliable and seem to last forever.useful for many things, including what they were built for, your clothes. might blow a breaker in your reptile room if you've got all your lights running tho.

Only a suggestion, sometime back there were window cleaners that had a high amount of ammonia in them. An old vet had told me to use it when cleaning the reptile cages at the pet store back in the day. Nowadays I notice many cleaners say "ammonia free".

I propose a simple experiment: look around for some ammonia based glass cleaners and test some out on the parasite.

Yes definatly great topic, Ive owned a quite a few reptiles and was always under the impression that salmonella was where the concern lies. Depending on who you talk to ( i talked to some vets) some told me Ive got as much chance of coming in contact with it handling money, as handling my lizard. I figured that there was less chance of a cham being as prone to maintaing salmonella on its skin beacuse of the way it deficates.....and doesnt live on the same level with where the feces fall? i had not looked into Coccidia till now but will reinforce my cleaning regimes!

Ive always used a steamer to clean, Im not sure tho about the cheap models they seem to have everywhere now which pale in comparison to a proper garment steamer like a jiffy. http://www.jiffysteamer.com/Products/index.asp?steamerCatId=2

They are not cheap but are reliable and seem to last forever.useful for many things, including what they were built for, your clothes. might blow a breaker in your reptile room if you've got all your lights running tho.

Is the steamer release a boiling water steam?
do you use the steamer on the live plants too?
will the hot steam will kill the plants?
If it worked good, i will buy the jiffy.

i am not someone who believes everything i read but has anyone ever tried or used 'spray nine'?? the industial cleaner?? it states right on the product
in 30 seconds it kills influenza, herpes, simplex 1 & 2, Rhinovirus type 37, plus more

goes on and in 45 seconds it kills salmonella choleraesuis, e coli, staphylcoccus aureus, plus a ton more

trichophyton mentagrophytes, mold and........... it is a scary subject???

i use the spray nine, it has a strange smell to it but not like bleach or ammonia. i like what someone said about the cleaners with ammonia, if ammonia kills then that would be the answer i guess.

unfortunately here in the northeast due to the winter we cannot just take our cages outside and spray them down every week or so.

drew

i am not someone who believes everything i read but has anyone ever tried or used 'spray nine'?? the industial cleaner?? it states right on the product
in 30 seconds it kills influenza, herpes, simplex 1 & 2, Rhinovirus type 37, plus more

goes on and in 45 seconds it kills salmonella choleraesuis, e coli, staphylcoccus aureus, plus a ton more

trichophyton mentagrophytes, mold and........... it is a scary subject???

i use the spray nine, it has a strange smell to it but not like bleach or ammonia. i like what someone said about the cleaners with ammonia, if ammonia kills then that would be the answer i guess.

unfortunately here in the northeast due to the winter we cannot just take our cages outside and spray them down every week or so.

drew

well, the steamer might work the best actually.
Since it is not smelly and you can blast everything with it.
Coccidia is stubborn due to its cyst.
spray nine might just be as effective as bleach w/ other bacterias and viruses.

wow that clip is ugly, i take it that is the lower intestines?? i'm sure there is a medicine that would kill them pretty quickly, i just don't think i could stand knowing those nemotodes (or worms) were swimming around me like that.

so how would you use a 'jiffy' steamer, just spray the steam on all items and cage?? how long does the steam need to be present on an item to kill the salmonella?, etc would it kill on contact because of the temperature??
so you would clean all with whatever cleaner, bleach, etc. and them steam them? or the opposite way??
drew

I noticed after looking they have a steam clean model with a different head on it. Mine is a garment steamer similar to the one in the link but an older version that Ive had for going on 10 years. they are a couple hundred bucks. It only takes a minute to get going and can run for well over an hour. I clean everything with it but it would hurt your plants if you held it to close. They pump out a ton of steam and get fairly hot. you can clean your whole room with it in minutes, which I do about once a week, but I might just step that up now.

I noticed after looking they have a steam clean model with a different head on it. Mine is a garment steamer similar to the one in the link but an older version that Ive had for going on 10 years. they are a couple hundred bucks. It only takes a minute to get going and can run for well over an hour. I clean everything with it but it would hurt your plants if you held it to close. They pump out a ton of steam and get fairly hot. you can clean your whole room with it in minutes, which I do about once a week, but I might just step that up now.

monsheshe, since i never use any steamer be4, i was wondering.. does the cage can get wet when cleaned by the steamer?
(you know.. water condensation and all).
Also, do you steam the plants too?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom