sick please help

lizardman

my veiled chameleon cant open his mouth he is lethargic wont eat or drink we spray he al the time we have the correct lights and warmth we live in FL we think he has metibolic bone disease is there anything we can do to help him

Last edited:
Please be more specific-how do you know it cannot open it's mouth? Fill out the following and we will try to help.
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Really the only thing is going to be taking him to the vet. What kind of lighting do you have, what are the temps/humidity, how much does he eat, do you ever use calcium or calcium with d3 or a multivitamin? has he ever had problems before? when did this start happening? Did you take him to the vet when his tongue stopped working? because that doesn't just happen everyday and should be assessed by a vet. Like others have said it will be easier to help you if you fill out the ask for help form, either way if he isn't taking food and his tongue is messed up he needs a vet asap or other complications will arise. Is he not drinking either? Good luck and take the poor thing to a vet because he really needs it. Sorry I couldn't be a better help.

Justin

we have a male veiled chameleon that cant open his mouth he cant eat we spray him frequently. he has had a problem with his tongue not extending so we have been hand feeding him crickets and superworms dusted with calcium and vitamins. we live in FL is there anything we can do to help him, we dont want to lose him hi is about 4yrs old

Well you have to first determine WHY he isnt opening his mouth or using his tongue. Fix that issue, or issues. if you dont know the reason for the problem, you should be going to the vet. 4 is not old.

my veiled chameleon cant open his mouth he is lethargic wont eat or drink we spray he al the time we have the correct lights and warmth we live in FL we think he has metibolic bone disease is there anything we can do to help him

Yes, obviously, you can take him to the vet, get a proper diagnosis, then take steps to correct the issue(s) and fix whatever aspect of your husbandry lead to the problem(s) in the first place.

Where in FL are you? If you fill out the questionaire, we can better help you.

Hi welcome to the forum.
As suggested by other members, please do fill the health clinic questionnaires in detail. Doing so will enable us to suggest an informed opinions on how to deal with your chameleon's problems.

Although I understand how panic an owner can get when his/ her chameleon is sick, please avoid making multiple threads of the same topic. Doing so will actually making people confused. Thus, to avoid such confusions, I have merged all your threads into one.

Now, on to the topic, since you live in Florida, you might want to schedule an appointment with an exotic vet.
I recommend Dr. Ivan Alfonso at:
Ivan Alfonso, DVM
Kirkman Area Animal Clinic
5633 Metrowes
Orlando, FL 32811
Tel: (407) 295-7547
Fax: (407) 293-6331

Best,

Dodolah

Back
Top Bottom