Sick chameleon; HELP

To treat the MBD you need a liquid calcium gluconate to give to them every day until their bones and muscles, etc get strong again...then you stop that liquid calcium. You really do need a vet to help with this.

You also need to provide the calcium powder and the vitamin powder @ERKleRose told you about in post #40. These you will give your chameleon forever dusted lightly on your insects as @ERKleRose described.

You need to provide the chameleons with the proper UVB light...either the long linear Reptisun 5.0 or the Arcadia 6 tube light.
The light should not pass through glass or plastic.
Direct sunlight that does NOT pass through glass or plastic will work too.

Make sure you keep the basking temperature at 80F...especially for the females. Do not use Dolores lights on the cage...white only.

Once you get the females through the egglaying you will need to put them on a diet a diet as well to keep them from producing large numbers of eggs.

You also have another thing to think about...since they were all in the same cage, the eggs will be fertile...so it younincubate th,,me they should hatch....and the next clutch they lay will be fertile as well.

More in a minute.

To set up your lay bin...washed play sand is the most often recommended substrate to use in it. The sand should be moist enough to hole a tunnel. It should be in the cage...which is why I was asking the size of the cage. Will it fit? The sand should be just moist enough to hold a tunnel....and because of your chameleons condition, I would dig one for her.

Here's how to set up the bin...

You need to get the bin in there ASAP to have any chance of the females laying the eggs.

I know this is a lot for you to absorb at once.

Next post...what to watch for if she can't/doesn't lay the eggs.

Last edited:
If she doesn't lay the eggs, and starts to be lethargic, sit low in the cage, sleep during the day, etc then you will need to take her to the vets to spay her. If the eggs are fertile, they can be incubated if set up right spaway (at the vets).

This is another decision you will have to make since the eggs should be fertile since the three were housed together. It's not cheap...you have to have a place to incubate them that is the right temperature....maybe an incubator, substrate to incubate them in.
Insects to feed them, cages/containers to put them in, etc.

Back
Top Bottom