Show me your Bioactive Vivariums Looking for Inspiration and Guidance

In my ladies enclosures I didn’t have time or extra enclosure to give them a foamed in background and hated the plain screen. I got a big roll of coco coir and attached it to the sides to hide the screen and get rid of the shower curtains I was using to contain the mistIng. In time I’d like to redo them with foamed background and proper planting boxes.
Thanks MissSkittles, its nice to know that we have options ?

I thought that the LED grow lights were bad for the chameleons eyes
I've never heard anything like that. Do you have a citation or source? :unsure:
What about them is supposed to be bad?

Years ago, there were some CFL UVBs that had issues, but TMK, they have long since been corrected.
CFLs are still not the best choice for chams, but AFAIK, no longer a danger to reptile eyes.

Affordable LED UVB is also on the way, which I'm looking forward to.

I've never heard anything like that. Do you have a citation or source? :unsure:
What about them is supposed to be bad?

Years ago, there were some CFL UVBs that had issues, but TMK, they have long since been corrected.
CFLs are still not the best choice for chams, but AFAIK, no longer a danger to reptile eyes.

Affordable LED UVB is also on the way, which I'm looking forward to.

I read it some where on this forum, something to do with the LED Flickering causing an irritation to the reptile. I attached a screen shot for a reference.
I see that this particular post was from 2018 so things may have changed hence me asking the question is it safe for the chams.
Do you know What watage of the LED grow lights is recommended?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113-162748_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113-162748_Chrome.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 97
why so? its natural? my only no is cocofiber, perlite and plastic.
When I first joined this forum I got some advise and tips from a few members on this forum to assist me with my humiditylevels. I originally had wood chips and moss in my enclosure of which it was advised to remove it as the chams can ingest it and it will cause impaction I have attached a screen shot below for reference. Hence me thinking moss was bad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113-164317_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113-164317_Chrome.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 93
I read it some where on this forum, something to do with the LED Flickering causing an irritation to the reptile. I attached a screen shot for a reference.
Thanks. That read (to me) like it could be more of an annoyance, and there were some qualifiers. YMMV. I think one caveat might be to stick with quality lights vs. the cheapest ones you can find.

Do you know What watage of the LED grow lights is recommended?
It's not so much the wattage (power consumption); rather it's what the light puts out (wavelengths, penetration, coverage, distance, etc. —even plant species & deployment).

One (or more) of these articles and/or videos may help: ppfd
After reading & watching several of those (I didn't understand it all, but there are other ? here who do), I looked at a lot of lights and—for me—went with this one (actually 2 of them for a double-wide enclosure).
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html
It has pretty good penetration for a 48" tall enclosure, and quite a few other folks here are using the same light(s).

Here's a thread where there was some discussion of LED plant lights.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/led-bar-recommendations.177698/

OTOH, my Missus had different criteria for some of her plants (not for a chameleon), and went with 2 of these.
https://www.sansiled.com/catalog/product/view/id/90/s/36w-led-grow-light-bulb-full-cycle/

We like the Sansi line because they seem to provide more data on their products, their bulbs last 5X as long as similar T5s, and they have a 5 year warranty. But there are probably other brands just as good. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
When I first joined this forum I got some advise and tips from a few members on this forum to assist me with my humiditylevels. I originally had wood chips and moss in my enclosure of which it was advised to remove it as the chams can ingest it and it will cause impaction I have attached a screen shot below for reference. Hence me thinking moss was bad.
hmm well ive never experienced or read anything concerning impaction caused by moss but im not dealing with veild either! is other member got something on that?

It all depends on which type of chameleon you have. Veiled’s will eat their plants, so those of us with veileds need to be more careful of what we put in.

Thanks. That read (to me) like it could be more of an annoyance, and there were some qualifiers. YMMV. I think one caveat might be to stick with quality lights vs. the cheapest ones you can find.

It's not so much the wattage (power consumption); rather it's what the light puts out (wavelengths, penetration, coverage, distance, etc. —even plant species & deployment).

One (or more) of these articles and/or videos may help: ppfd
After reading & watching several of those (I didn't understand it all, but there are other ? here who do), I looked at a lot of lights and—for me—went with this one (actually 2 of them for a double-wide enclosure).
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html
It has pretty good penetration for a 48" tall enclosure, and quite a few other folks here are using the same light(s).

Here's a thread where there was some discussion of LED plant lights.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/led-bar-recommendations.177698/

OTOH, my Missus had different criteria for some of her plants (not for a chameleon), and went with 2 of these.
https://www.sansiled.com/catalog/product/view/id/90/s/36w-led-grow-light-bulb-full-cycle/

We like the Sansi line because they seem to provide more data on their products, their bulbs last 5X as long as similar T5s, and they have a 5 year warranty. But there are probably other brands just as good. ?‍♂️
Thank you this is very helpful and I will read more in to it, I feel the same I read and watch videos and get all this info but not really sure I understand all of it as im not technical. But I do try ?

It all depends on which type of chameleon you have. Veiled’s will eat their plants, so those of us with veileds need to be more careful of what we put in.
Thank you MissSkittles, so would it be ok to go the vivarium route for veilds because they eat the plants? And by me saying this the sphagnum moss in the substrate and leaf litter? I really don't want any harm to come to my babies because they so curious, so want to be 1000000% sure before doing anything

Thank you MissSkittles, so would it be ok to go the vivarium route for veilds because they eat the plants? And by me saying this the sphagnum moss in the substrate and leaf litter? I really don't want any harm to come to my babies because they so curious, so want to be 1000000% sure before doing anything
I added a small bit of sphagnum moss to my substrate but I cut it up into very small pieces and it’s well mixed in my substrate. I use all plants which have been approved for veileds. My chams don’t really even spend any time down on the floor. Only time one did it was because she discovered the isopods...free food!

Thank you this is very helpful and I will read more in to it, I feel the same I read and watch videos and get all this info but not really sure I understand all of it as im not technical. But I do try ?
Don't sweat it. We all try—some of us are more trying than others. :LOL:

I added a small bit of sphagnum moss to my substrate but I cut it up into very small pieces and it’s well mixed in my substrate. I use all plants which have been approved for veileds. My chams don’t really even spend any time down on the floor. Only time one did it was because she discovered the isopods...free food!
Ok great I will do the same, my babies explore all over their current enclosure. If they not hanging upside down from the top they are at the bottom in the pot plants looking for things, I did cover all the soil of the potted plants with a mesh and stones so they can't go eating anything weird (they do spend alot of time in the middle of the enclosure aswell so they really are all over) hence me asking so many questions about the bio active viv because it kind of goes against everything I was advised in the beginning so its a complete 180 turnaround..

Don't sweat it. We all try—some of us are more trying than others. :LOL:
Its really tough trying to figure all of this out. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and taking the right steps.
These were the LED grow lights i was looking at im not so sure these are the right choice now. These appealed to me as its two lights in one and I have two enclosures next to each other so thought this would be a great option one light for both (Im based in South Africa so can't always get the same products that are advised so I try get the alternative)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113-183343_takealot.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113-183343_takealot.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20201113-183134_takealot.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113-183134_takealot.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 92
These were the LED grow lights i was looking at im not so sure these are the right choice now.
Ah, I am slightly familiar with that fixture in that I've seen it before.
IIRC, that light is intended for clipping onto a desktop and providing light for a couple of small potted plants. It has nowhere near the output or range necessary for a 48" (122cm) tall chameleon enclosure.

Ah, I am slightly familiar with that fixture in that I've seen it before.
IIRC, that light is intended for clipping onto a desktop and providing light for a couple of small potted plants. It has nowhere near the output or range necessary for a 48" (122cm) tall chameleon enclosure.
Duely noted Thank you. What are your thoughts on these (as I found a supplier here yey!)
They have 9 w 13 w and 22w i know you mentioned the wattage dosent matter its the output I just want to know if I'm on the right track here..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113-191358_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113-191358_Chrome.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 98
On the cheap and easy, It is a half barrel, well plastic. I am currently using MegaRay, but going to switch to T5HO for better temp control.
The trick is find a pot that fits your enclosure. I have found this an easy way to get started. The last time I trans planted there were worms, isopods and springtails by the dozens.
IMG_1131.jpg IMG_1132.jpg

The outside is not the best looking lol. But inside is climate controlled. Dry mid 70s ambient 80 Basking (Currently getting up to high 80, hence the bulb switch.)
Night time pumps fog, and cool outside air(run through a fogger to moisten the dry cold air). Night time is low 60s with 80 humidity and a fogger.

Kind of prototyping, but getting very good results so far.

Duely noted Thank you. What are your thoughts on these (as I found a supplier here yey!)
They have 9 w 13 w and 22w i know you mentioned the wattage dosent matter its the output I just want to know if I'm on the right track here..
This is what ihave been using for about 5weeksthey are the new step up from your picture
20201113_174736.jpg

Back
Top Bottom