LED bar recommendations

Cipher

I have the Reptibreeze LED Deluxe XL assembled and was going to use my Radion XR30W Pro, but think I am going to recover my reef tank, so I will need to purchase lighting for the plants. I see Jungle Dawn is viewed favorably as an out of the box solution, but recall someone mentioning it’s just a rebranded Chinese LED. I’d like to hear recommendations (I did search and looked for a lighting sticky). Not wanting a screw-in type. I have a 24” T5 HO for UVB, only looking for plant lighting. Centerpiece is a umbrella plant and have a few others. Want to ensure I have good coverage, as I know some LEDs can have really poor spread. Thanks!

I thought that some of those cheaper freshwater plant LED light bars would work on our cham cages. Not sure. I have a Fluval saltwater one.

If your not stuck on using LED's I really like these... https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html
I run two on each enclosure and they come with the 6400 daylight bulbs. They daisy chain together if you want as well.
T5 is the old tried and true, same for reef tanks. I like LEDs, the lack of heat and low power usage. I may end up going T5 if I can’t locate the Jungle Dawns anywhere, but I’m trying not to. LEDs throw much higher par in my experience with reef tanks and last so much longer before you need to replace them.

I bought this about a year and half ago and it's worked out. The T5 in it is for plant growth (have another hood for the UVB) so I don't know what the growth rate would be if I only had the LED for plants and the T5 for UVB

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/27637-zoo-med-repti-sun-led--uvb-fixture-24

1599000063032.png

T5 is the old tried and true, same for reef tanks. I like LEDs, the lack of heat and low power usage. I may end up going T5 if I can’t locate the Jungle Dawns anywhere, but I’m trying not to. LEDs throw much higher par in my experience with reef tanks and last so much longer before you need to replace them.
Here ya go hun. https://www.joshsfrogs.com/instantsearchplus/result/?q=jungle dawn
And the code ReptilianGarden used to work for a 15% off. Not sure if it still does though.

I really like running multiple Sansi spot light plant LEDs... I am by no means a lighting guru, but my plants love them, and I really like the warmer color. The T5 lights feel very... hospital-like to me. I'm sure there are warmer bulbs available, but I use a combination of a dual T5 and then anywhere from 1-3 SANSI LEDs depending on the cage size. I just ordered Current USA LED cover for a frog viv... it has some neato effects. I've seen people use them for room setups for the cloud cover and storm settings. Haven't come in yet.

I need to get out of this house soon as I'm buying way too much hobby stuff and snacks.

I just ordered Current USA LED cover for a frog viv... it has some neato effects. I've seen people use them for room setups for the cloud cover and storm settings. Haven't come in yet.
So you got a light show for a frog. ...a frog :unsure: o_O ?

I just checked out Jungle Dawn, based on mention in this thread and elsewhere.
They don't make a 48" (nom) version:eek:

Seems odd, but that may rule it out for me.
I've entered my options on a spreadsheet; we'll be reviewing it this afternoon.

What is everyone running that will provide halfway decent par in areas below the top 1/3 of the cage? Saw some par numbers from the Jungle Dawn led bars and wasn’t very impressed.

PAR isn't necessarily what you should be concerned with or looking for.
See: https://fluence.science/science-articles/horticulture-lighting-metrics/
PAR is a much used (and often misused) term related to horticulture lighting. PAR is NOT a measurement or “metric” like feet, inches or kilos. Rather, it defines the type of light needed to support photosynthesis. The amount and spectral light quality of PAR light are the important metrics to focus on.

NOTE:
There is a blueish box ~halfway down the page. The top left button in that box should read PPFnot PAR.

PAR isn't necessarily what you should be concerned with or looking for.
See: https://fluence.science/science-articles/horticulture-lighting-metrics/

NOTE:
There is a blueish box ~halfway down the page. The top left button in that box should read PPFnot PAR.
That’s been said even with reef tanks, but it’s a useable form of measurement and I have a par meter at home. Substitute the word par above for light and you have my question. I just want lights that aren’t a focused beam only, that penetrate deeper than the top foot and still have decent ability to grow plants. Not being scientific, just want lights so I can get a chameleon.

IDK if it'll be any help to you, but I just decided on this Sansi.

I liked the X configured one, as it looked like it had better coverage/distribution, but for the same # of LEDs (12), the data was not as good as the pad for penetration.

The beam angle of both was a bit narrow (60°) but I worked out the placement & angles in Visio—should be fine.

Some factors that went into my decision:
I couldn't find any expected life or warranty info. on the Jungle Dawn, and they don't make a 48" version. It also seemed overpriced compared to any of Sansi's lights. JD has a better beam angle (120°) but I worked that out.

Any of the T5HO bulbs only had a 10K expected life, so I had to figure on replacing them 4X compared to the life of the LEDs. That adds up.

I also couldn't find any warranty info on the T5HO bulbs or fixtures.

I really like running multiple Sansi spot light plant LEDs... I am by no means a lighting guru, but my plants love them, and I really like the warmer color. The T5 lights feel very... hospital-like to me. I'm sure there are warmer bulbs available, but I use a combination of a dual T5 and then anywhere from 1-3 SANSI LEDs depending on the cage size. I just ordered Current USA LED cover for a frog viv... it has some neato effects. I've seen people use them for room setups for the cloud cover and storm settings. Haven't come in yet.

I need to get out of this house soon as I'm buying way too much hobby stuff and snacks.
I have 1 sansi spot light per cage, and I just ordered a jungle dawn for my free range. We'll see which one grows plants faster!

Back
Top Bottom