Show me your Bioactive Vivariums Looking for Inspiration and Guidance

I'm just asking as I'm going bio next and I have a female panther. So did you let her lay in the the bottom. Or add another lay bin in as I was thinking it could b a nightmare to recover eggs in a bio ?

I'm just asking as I'm going bio next and I have a female panther. So did you let her lay in the the bottom. Or add another lay bin in as I was thinking it could b a nightmare to recover eggs in a bio ?
I let her lay in the bottom no need to add a laying bin, the whole floor was her laying bin lol. You don’t have to dig up the eggs if your going bioactive the cuc ( clean up crew ) will eat the eggs. Unless your eggs are fertilized no need to dig them up

But just saying. To count the number of eggs to see if she is laying to much to alter diet. And if they where fertile?

But just saying. To count the number of eggs to see if she is laying to much to alter diet. And if they where fertile?
You can dig them up, I had to problem digging up her eggs. Her cage is just sitting on top of the bin so I just had to slide the cage a little over and boom baby I got eggs. Witch is great because she’s extremely cage aggressive. I can’t even open her cage without her lunging at me at least once

I did look at Jungle Dawn; IDK how good they are, but they seemed overpriced and they don't (yet) off the size I needed, so I passed and went for the Sansi. AFAIK, the different wattages have to do with the length of the bulbs. I forget what lengths they offer, but the idea is that they run the length of an enclosure—like UVBs.
Will definitely look in it alot more and find whats right for the new enclosures. (Once they arrive) we can't get sansi here not sure about AFAIK but will investigate more thanks for the help

Hi there!

I really like bioactive. I started with a smaller enclosure and goofed up my drainage and it got gross, but I did much better this time around. I have a better soil mix (50% play sand) that drains easier and I have actual drainage holes and a tray. The gardening is just as fun and challenging as the chameleon keeping, IMO!

IMG_20200906_091924.jpg
IMG_20200909_074906.jpg

What type is your enclosure as It takes time to set up bio. Maybe be able to sort out small changes in the mean time
The first image is what the enclosures look like at the moment and the second image is the idea of new enclosures. I've told my hubby that I want this for Christmas so we having an enclosure custom made. (Similar to image 2 as we won't be able to import thats specific one too expensive) Im looking at ideas for now as I would like the new enclosures to be bio active hence me starting this thread. I will only know the size of the enclosure once it arrives (as my hubby is arranging everything) and then ill be able to transform it and make it fully bioactive. There current enclosures are fine for them until everything has settled and I have all the right stuff for it new one

Attachments

• 20201112_193026.jpg
    20201112_193026.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 126
  • SmartSelect_20201114-054614_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201114-054614_Google.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 113
I’m late to the party but here are all my bioactive cages. My female veiled just laid eggs a few weeks ago in the medium and it worked out great. Could hardly tell where she dug her hole.

Larry male veileds cage
View attachment 282455

Imelda female veileds cage
View attachment 282456

madmartagin male panther cage
View attachment 282457

chong male furcifer willsii
View attachment 282458

Jane female furcifer willsii

View attachment 282459

Mary female furcifer willsii
View attachment 282460
Thank you for the share, I went to your link and saw you used a light cover as a backing to make the side walls, ideally I would like to do the same or similar and then screw the new wall the the enclosure walls. Any tips or things you figured out that you would do differently?

Hi there!

I really like bioactive. I started with a smaller enclosure and goofed up my drainage and it got gross, but I did much better this time around. I have a better soil mix (50% play sand) that drains easier and I have actual drainage holes and a tray. The gardening is just as fun and challenging as the chameleon keeping, IMO!

View attachment 282482
View attachment 282479
Thank you for the share, if I may ask how did you mess up the first-time? I only have one shot at this so I really can't mess anything up

Thank you for the share, I went to your link and saw you used a light cover as a backing to make the side walls, ideally I would like to do the same or similar and then screw the new wall the the enclosure walls. Any tips or things you figured out that you would do differently?
Plastic egg crates!!! They are amazing I have a wall build one second....

Plz excuse how wired I am

Thank you that video is cute not weird ? and helpful. How did you secure the wall to the enclosure?
I first made sure the egg crate was the right size, I think I only cut about an inch off. It fits in very snug actually. I’ll take more pics of the wall in the morning for you so i don’t upset the reptile room lol

I’ve been thinking about how I want to set up my new guy’s enclosure and now I know. (y) :D
Btw, I absolutely love your hair color!
Thank you ? I’m really happy with how the plants have grown in over the year. The monstera is definitely an amazing plant for there enclosures. I would like to add one to imeldas cage in hole she won’t murder it with her plant nibbling.
i identify as someone with purple hair, I have a strong bond to this color it’s been 2 years now that I’ve been living my purple life and I’m loving it??

Thank you for the share, if I may ask how did you mess up the first-time? I only have one shot at this so I really can't mess anything up

Sure thing! It was a small enclosure for my cham when he was a baby, so it was easier to flood. I did a false drainage system because I had a glass enclosure, and there was no way to easily siphon water out. I did have a pvc pipe that I could stick a turkey baster is to pull water out from but failed to use it in time and it was in a corner behind a bunch of plants and sticks so it was tricky to get back to it. I do believe that my soil mix was also an issue because it held in water.

So solutions include: 1) fast draining soil mix, high part sand 2) true drainage rather than false drainage - drainage holes to allow water to come out the bottom and be easily siphoned out 3) keep a close eye on drainage and water levels and intervene early if needed by adjusting misting nozzles, soil mix, and plant placement

Back
Top Bottom