Should I be worried?

JeffJo

I've had my 11mo old male Jax Xanth for 4 days(today is the 4th) and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is still just settling in but all he seems to do is hang out under the basking lamp, sometimes with his mouth open, but he is still a dark color... When I see him like that I turn the lamp off, and in a minute or less he closes his mouth. He stays in the upper right corner of his cage for most of the day. He's been eating well, maybe overeating, but I don't know if he's drinking enough, there is a dripper dripping and a humidifier making water droplets too. I've been feeding him silk worms and he has been gobbling them up. The temp is 75 on the cool side, 80 on the warm side, and 85-88 under the heat lamp. Humidity is 65%-70% on the cool side and 40%-50% on the warm side. I would post pictures but it's not working for me right now :/

I've had my 11mo old male Jax Xanth for 4 days(today is the 4th) and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is still just settling in but all he seems to do is hang out under the basking lamp, sometimes with his mouth open, but he is still a dark color... When I see him like that I turn the lamp off, and in a minute or less he closes his mouth. He stays in the upper right corner of his cage for most of the day. He's been eating well, maybe overeating, but I don't know if he's drinking enough, there is a dripper dripping and a humidifier making water droplets too. I've been feeding him silk worms and he has been gobbling them up. I would post pictures but it's not working for me right now :/

What temps are you seeing in the basking spot and the rest of the cage or the room? It sounds as if he's a bit cold. Because he's dark (probably more on one side he tilts toward the heat) he's trying to absorb heat faster. As he gets warmed up he'll start gaping to regulate his body temp. If he was not eating or active he might be starting a respiratory infection but it doesn't sound like that.

If the entire cage is fairly cool during the day compared to the basking area he may spend more time under the light.

What temps are you seeing in the basking spot and the rest of the cage or the room? It sounds as if he's a bit cold. Because he's dark (probably more on one side he tilts toward the heat) he's trying to absorb heat faster. As he gets warmed up he'll start gaping to regulate his body temp. If he was not eating or active he might be starting a respiratory infection but it doesn't sound like that.

If the entire cage is fairly cool during the day compared to the basking area he may spend more time under the light.

Ok, I think your right, the bulb I had was only a small 25w in a mini deep dome, I put in a 40w and he has lightened up a bit. I think maybe part of the reason he was gaping is because I kept lookin at him making him grumpy. Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom