Short term use of Tap water effect on mistking/fogger

Ive only used 100% well water. Never had a problem. Maybe after months/years you might have to decalcify by soaking the nozzles in vinegar etc.

So you think I should be fine for that short of a time period?

No it should not. I had to use tap at first. It did leave residue on the plants but that depends on your water quality. In the short term it won’t clog. When you go back to RO it will slowly remove any leftover minerals.
You can also soak a clogged nozzle in vinegar to clear it.
FYI I wouldn't count on RO water "removing" minerals. Once deposited only an acid (I use citric acid instead of vinegar for my house as it is more powerful and Socal water is basically like crusty salt water) can remove them.

Definitely soaking and running through with vinegar will take it off if it is not too bad.

I recommend everyone get a TDS, or water solids, meter (cheap on Amazon). It can be very illuminating as to why you have certain problems such as build-up in your plants, water spots etc. as well as what you are starting with in terms of solids in your water. IMO it is the only way to know if your RO system is working/needs new filters; by testing quarterly you can easily find out (really it is like a solar meter to test your bulbs)

FYI I wouldn't count on RO water "removing" minerals. Once deposited only an acid (I use citric acid instead of vinegar for my house as it is more powerful and Socal water is basically like crusty salt water) can remove them.

Definitely soaking and running through with vinegar will take it off if it is not too bad.

I recommend everyone get a TDS, or water solids, meter (cheap on Amazon). It can be very illuminating as to why you have certain problems such as build-up in your plants, water spots etc. as well as what you are starting with in terms of solids in your water. IMO it is the only way to know if your RO system is working/needs new filters; by testing quarterly you can easily find out (really it is like a solar meter to test your bulbs)
I buy my RO from a saltwater pet store. And I know them really well and have seen them test the water. So I am not worried about any issues with it. I have used it for over 2 years without any issue or damage.

but thank you for the feedback.

Yes a far more detailed answer. I raised discus fish for years so water hardness is something stuck in my head. Valid point on the RO water cleaning residue. It was a bad choice of words. Over time in can remove small amounts, but will not unclog an already blocked or partially blocked nozzle.

And Yes get a hardness test. They are cheep.

I buy my RO from a saltwater pet store. And I know them really well and have seen them test the water. So I am not worried about any issues with it. I have used it for over 2 years without any issue or damage.

but thank you for the feedback.
Oh, no! Get your own "portable" RO :) Mine attaches to a garden hose and cost about $80. No lugging back and forth..Filters cost maybe $20-30 a year. That is..as long as you have a spot for a garden hose.

Try not to worry have a successful procedure and recovery!

Ive only used 100% well water. Never had a problem. Maybe after months/years you might have to decalcify by soaking the nozzles in vinegar etc.
Where are you. I lived at Lake Tahoe they had excellent soft water right out the tap. In NV, AZ, CA desert it is very high. I had some water that even after a 50% cut with RO it was still 400ppm

Where are you. I lived at Lake Tahoe they had excellent soft water right out the tap. In NV, AZ, CA desert it is very high. I had some water that even after a 50% cut with RO it was still 400ppm
You got it, Orange County, we are around 300-400ppm on a good day. Luckily my RO can get it to a negligible 4-5ppm. I make GALLONS of it daily for pets and Carn. plants but it DOES make me wonder what it does to US when we drink it!

Sorry, I just found your question so random it confused my barely working head. I saw that gif and was like “perfect” and I found your question funny 😆. It’s definitely something I would say without realizing how random it sounds.
Very Funny Reaction GIF

I wanna know who makes these :hilarious:
I don't know why its random its about water and it naturally comes from the sky !

Perfect thank you Natalie. I do have the clearside on two enclosures but the misting heads do not spray them directly. But if I need to clean water spots after all is said and done I am ok with that. I have to clean them anyways since the boys keep getting tongue marks on the clearside when they go after the flies.

I was thinking about running the water through my britta filter... Might cut down on some of it. Do you think this is really needed or a waste of time since I am only looking at 11 days?

ha! I have the same problem. A bunch of SPLAT marks on the clearside and tons of bug guts. I'm looking at Donnie's right now and it's gross... but I know that a wipe down with a (very) soft cloth and distilled water willl help remove them when the time comes. I'll probably take it outside and hose it down with dawn dish soap and the hose once the weather breaks... and then just rinses with distilled. I have to move the cages to anothre floor, otherwise I'd never go that far to clean it.

(although one time I brought the house into the living room to clean his cage.... that was not one of my best ideas haha)

On the rain water. I am in Oregon and have been thinking of this for a while. The problem for me is gathering it. Clearly I have gutters, but then that water has run down my roof and picked up who knows what. But if I can find a way to collect it, it will be my first choice.

Since you guys are out west - just don't use the rainwater during active wildfires. I think the ash can make it more acidic. (I think, might have that backwards)

ha! I have the same problem. A bunch of SPLAT marks on the clearside and tons of bug guts. I'm looking at Donnie's right now and it's gross... but I know that a wipe down with a (very) soft cloth and distilled water willl help remove them when the time comes. I'll probably take it outside and hose it down with dawn dish soap and the hose once the weather breaks... and then just rinses with distilled. I have to move the cages to anothre floor, otherwise I'd never go that far to clean it.

(although one time I brought the house into the living room to clean his cage.... that was not one of my best ideas haha)

i cant edit this now... but I brought the HOSE into the living room, not the house!

Thank you everyone. I am on quarantine until Monday when I go in for a medical procedure. Then the first three days I can not do anything. The next seven they do not want me even lifting a gallon. So since my mom and daughter are going to have to fill everything I do not want them to have to go get the RO while I am out of commission lol. Trying to make it as simple as possible on them. And with me being the only caretaker of my boys I am a little anxious just being away 1 day and leaving it up to the family to remember to turn on and off the dehumidifier. Just a bit of a stressed messed :hilarious:
@Beman could you hook your dehumidifier up to a timer or maybe even a smart plug?

Back
Top Bottom