Shipping my first chameleon.

kaylie

Can I get a step by step on packing and shipping? He's 10 months, so not a baby, no deli cup. What options should I choose? Insurance? I'm using ShipYourReptiles. I know there are resources out there but I like to pull from multiple so can someone run it down for me?

I would recommend using a reptile/cloth bag so that way the animal has a little more room to move. You also need to check the weather on both ends to be sure that it will not be too hot, now that its summer, or if it is you should plan on using a cold pack. Also you'll need foam liner to cover all four sides of the box, and you can add substrate such as newspaper and paper shreds, outside the bag, to stabilize the animal during the trip. But most importantly you have to feed and hydrate your chameleon very well a day before shipping and what I do is drop him of until the latest I can so that way he is not all day in a box. Hope this helps.

Totally agree with Dinamite. Pack securely with a cool pack this time of yr. Tape the cool pack to the top of the boxs inner liner. And wait til the latest you can to drop off. And never ever ship a cham that is showing the least bit of hydration or any other issues. The stress of shipping is enough on them without any other physical problems compounding the toll on them.

Ok, so where can I get the liner? And can I use an old pillow case for the cloth bag? Also, he has not eaten in two weeks, hasn't touched anything I give him, would that be a problem?

If you buy a single reptile shipping kit from lllreptile it will come with a bag and a hot or cold pack depending on witch one you choose

Ok, so where can I get the liner? And can I use an old pillow case for the cloth bag? Also, he has not eaten in two weeks, hasn't touched anything I give him, would that be a problem?
You should only ship if your animal is in perfect health. The stressful trip will only make things worse.

yeah if he hasnt eaten in 2 weeks i definitely wouldnt ship him...maybe a vet visit is in order? how have you been keeping the cham?

I don't have money for a vet visit... part of why I found a new home for him. At this point in time I think he would do better and be happier with his future owner. All other conditions are fine, he just doesn't want to eat. I don't have much time for him right now, so unless someone can tell me how to make him eat, I think it'd be best for him to go to a better home as soon as possible... no one local wanted him, so I promised him to someone further.

i feel its a little irresponsible to ship your Cham when he's not in full health , this is something that needs to be thought about when purchasing a cham , wether or not you can afford vet bills , its like not taking a child to the doctors.
My cham is at the vets today and lord knows i dont need the expense but its my duty to her welfare to do so , this is a life we are talking about , and i would beg, steal and borrow to ensure i did my best.

i feel its a little irresponsible to ship your Cham when he's not in full health , this is something that needs to be thought about when purchasing a cham , wether or not you can afford vet bills , its like not taking a child to the doctors.
My cham is at the vets today and lord knows i dont need the expense but its my duty to her welfare to do so , this is a life we are talking about , and i would beg, steal and borrow to ensure i did my best.

Well I feel it is a little putting off to say one is irresponsible when they don't have the full story. It's not that I "don't need the expense". I do not have the money, or someone to borrow from. I am in college, living at home, with no money coming in. Up until now I have provided excellent care for my guy, and unforeseen events have led me to have to sell him because I cannot care for him as I used to. He was my first cham, and I bought him before I knew what his care consisted of. Yeah, I would have thought about these things before I bought him had I known what it takes to keep a chameleon. I think I have done a really good job considering that I knew nothing before he came home with me from the pet store. So instead of jumping in to call me irresponsible, how about some real advice? Find a closer buyer, rob a bank for vet money, anything else would be more helpful.
Usually I wouldn't start something like this and just ignore it, but I have seen a few times threads where people just come in and call a new member irresponsible when what happened was not their intentional fault, and that member would then go MIA... obviously looking for help elsewhere, and that elsewhere could be a bad resource. We are not here to put down. We are here to help. And I would like some real advice.

Well I feel it is a little putting off to say one is irresponsible when they don't have the full story. It's not that I "don't need the expense". I do not have the money, or someone to borrow from. I am in college, living at home, with no money coming in. Up until now I have provided excellent care for my guy, and unforeseen events have led me to have to sell him because I cannot care for him as I used to. He was my first cham, and I bought him before I knew what his care consisted of. Yeah, I would have thought about these things before I bought him had I known what it takes to keep a chameleon. I think I have done a really good job considering that I knew nothing before he came home with me from the pet store. So instead of jumping in to call me irresponsible, how about some real advice? Find a closer buyer, rob a bank for vet money, anything else would be more helpful.
Usually I wouldn't start something like this and just ignore it, but I have seen a few times threads where people just come in and call a new member irresponsible when what happened was not their intentional fault, and that member would then go MIA... obviously looking for help elsewhere, and that elsewhere could be a bad resource. We are not here to put down. We are here to help. And I would like some real advice.

I wasn't putting you down i was saying i feel it is a little irressponsible , not calling you iresponsible personally! Yes you may have done well upto now , but i was saying perhaps the issue of feeding should be addressed before shipping, have you tried offering different types of feeders , how about dusting with bee pollen, sometimes this can coax a fussy eater , and we are here to help each other but also to provide criticism if we feel something isn't right.

Plus i didnt suggest that ' you didnt need the expense' i said ' I DIDNT NEED THE EXPENSE AT THE MINUTE' your reading between the lines and taking it personally

people sorta were jumping the gun that he isnt at all good health

he could be having one of those infamous hunger strikes i had that from my chams one time or another. they can be fine just nit eating

though shipping him like that isnt the best tho.

Back
Top Bottom